Mar 05, 2019
|Youngstown State at Oakland|
|Date & Time||Wednesday, March 6 | 7 p.m.|
|Location||Athletics O'Rena |Rochester, Mich.|
|Radio||570 WKBN | iHeartRadio|
|TV||ESPN+ | WatchESPN|
|Game Notes||YSU Notes | Oakland Notes|
|Live Tweets||@YSUMensHoops | @YSUSports|
|Hash Tags||#GoGuins | #HLMBB|
|Mobile App||YSU Front Row|
• The No. 6-seeded Youngstown State men's basketball team visits No. 3 Oakland in the quarterfinals of the 2019 Little Caesars Horizon League Men's Basketball Championship, Wednesday, March 6. Tipoff is slated for 7 p.m. at the Athletics O'Rena in Rochester, Mich. The game will be broadcast on 570 WKBN and ESPN+.
With a win over the Golden Grizzlies, the Penguins will advance to the semifinals to face the No. 2 Northern Kentucky/No. 7 Detroit Mercy winner, Monday, March 11, at 9:30 p.m. at Little Caesars Arena in Detroit, Mich.
• Jerrod Calhoun is in his second year at Youngstown State and his seventh season overall as a head coach. The 13th head coach in program history, Calhoun owns a career mark of 144-81 overall and is 20-43 at Youngstown State. The Cleveland, Ohio, native came to YSU after spending five years at Fairmont State, where he led the Fighting Falcons to the 2017 NCAA Division II National Championship game and a 34-3 overall record. Calhoun was named the 2017 Mountain East Conference Coach of the Year and the Mountain East Conference Men's Sports Coach of the Year.
• Greg Kampe is in his 35th season at Oakland and is the third-longest tenured coach at one school in Division I. Kampe has led the Golden Grizzlies to three NCAA tournaments (2005, 2010, 2011) and coached four NBA players over the last 13 years. He owns a career record of 617-454.
Quisenberry, Covington Garner Postseason Honors
• Freshman Darius Quisenberry was named to the All-Horizon League Second-Team and the All-Freshmen Team, and sophomore Garrett Covington was named to the Horizon League All-Defensive Team.
• Quisenberry was a three-time league freshman of the Week and leads the Penguins in scoring (13.9 ppg), assists (3.7 apg) and steals (1.3 spg). He also averaged 16.3 points per game against league opponents. In all games, he ranked 15th in scoring, sixth in assists and seventh in steals. He also set the YSU freshman 3-pointers made record with 51 and the YSU Division I freshman scoring record with 430.
• Covington, who averaged 10.7 points per game, typically defended the opponents top scorer and averaged 1.13 steals per game. He also averaged 2.5 defensive rebounds per game.
Penguins in the Tourney
• Youngstown State has a Horizon League Tournament record of 6-17 since joining the league in 2001-02.
• The Penguins are 5-12 in first round games, 1-4 in quarterfinal games, and 0-1 in semifinal contests.
• Since joining the Division I ranks, Youngstown State has a quarterfinal tournament record of 6-12, a 2-4 mark in the semifinals and a 0-2 record in conference tournament championships.
• The Penguins Division I conference tournament record is 13-30 dating back to 1984.
• Oakland enters the game as the No. 3 seed after posting an 11-7 Horizon League record and an overall mark of 15-16.
• Leading Oakland is Xavier Hill-Mais wiht 18.6 points per game.
• Jaevin Cumberland is also in double figures with 16.6 points per contest.
Last Time Against Oakland
• The Penguins defeated the Golden Grizzlies, 75-74, at the O'Rena on Jan. 31.
• It marked YSU's first win at Oakland since 2016.
• Freshman Darius Quisenberry led four players scoring in double figures with 23 points.
• Sophomores Garrett Covington and Michael Akuchie each posted 11 points while freshman John Sally, Jr., had a career-high 10 points.
The Oakland Series
• This is the 24th meeting between Youngstown State and Oakland in a series that dates back to 1999.
• Oakland owns a 15-8 advantage in the all-time series, but YSU has won two of the last three games.
• Youngstown State won the last meeting, 75-74, at the O'Rena on Jan 31, 2019.
• Oakland won the first meeting this season, 76-74, on Dec. 30, at the Beeghly Center.
• YSU won the previous meeting, 75-73, on a buzzer-beating putback by Garrett Covington on Feb. 14, 2018, at the Beeghly Center.
Guins vs. Griz in Tournament
• The Penguins and Golden Grizzlies have met twice previously in the Horizon League Tournament.
• In the last meeting, Youngstown State upset the top-seeded Golden Grizzlies, 81-80, on Jorden Kaufman's buzzer-beating layup on March 4, 2017, at Joe Louis Arena.
• Oakland defeated the Penguins, 96-92, in overtime on March 4, 2014, at the O'Rena.
Last Time Out
• Freshman Darius Quisenberry scored 32 points and made a career-high five 3-pointers in an 89-80 overtime loss to Cleveland State on March 2.
• Senior Noe Anabir scored a career-high 16 points on 8-of-12 shooting from the floor.
A Win Would
• Give Youngstown State its 44th win over Cleveland State.
• Mark the second straight win and the third in four games against Oakland.
• Mark Jerrod Calhoun's 145th career win and his 21st at Youngstown State.
• Mark the 1,097th victory in program history.
• Give the Penguins an 13-19 overall record
• Mark YSU's seventh road win of the season.
• Mark YSU's 14th overall conference tournament win and the seventh in the Horizon League Tournament.