Dec 17, 2018
|Youngstown State at Ohio State|
|Date & Time||Tuesday, Dec. 18 | 7 p.m.|
|Location||Value City Arena | Columbus, Ohio|
|Radio||570 WKBN | iHeartRadio|
|TV||Big Ten Network | BTN2Go|
|Game Notes||YSU Notes | OSU Notes|
|Live Tweets||@YSUMensHoops | @YSUSports|
|Hash Tags||#GoGuins | #HLWBB|
|Mobile App||YSU Front Row|
• Youngstown State closes out the non-Horizon League portion of its schedule when in takes on in-state and nationally-ranked Ohio State, Tuesday, Dec. 18, at 7 p.m. in Columbus, Ohio.
• Jerrod Calhoun is in his second year at Youngstown State and his seventh season overall as a head coach. The 13th head coach in program history, Calhoun owns a career mark of 136-70 overall and is 12-32 at Youngstown State. The Cleveland, Ohio, native came to YSU after spending five years at Fairmont State, where he led the Fighting Falcons to the 2017 NCAA Division II National Championship game and a 34-3 overall record. Calhoun was named the 2017 Mountain East Conference Coach of the Year and the Mountain East Conference Men's Sports Coach of the Year.
• Chris Holtmann is in his second season as the head coach at Ohio State and his eighth season overall as a head coach. Holtmann, who led the Buckeyes to a 25-9 record last season, carries a two-year mark of 34-10 at OSU and a career record of 148-95.
Storylines and Notes
• Sophomore Naz Bohannon hauled down a career-high 19 rebounds against Central Michigan on Dec. 4. That total marks the most rebounds in a game by a YSU player since Adam Baumann had 21 in 2003. Over the last four games, Bohannon averaged 11.8 rebounds per game.
• This is the fifth meeting between Youngstown State and Ohio State. The Buckeyes own a 4-0 record against the Penguins.
• Sophomore Garrett Covington posted the first double-double of his career with a career-high 26 points and a career-best 13 rebounds against Central Michigan on Dec. 4.
• Junior Kendale Hampton tied a career high with seven 3-pointers made against Robert Morris on Nov. 28. He also led the Penguins with a career-high 32 points with seven 3s in the Penguin's 94-83 win over Columbia on Nov. 16. His seven 3-pointers are tied for fourth on the YSU single-season chart. The last YSU player to make at least seven 3s in a game was Matt Donlan against Robert Morris on Nov. 30, 2016. Hampton is just the sixth player in school history to record multiple games of at least seven 3-pointers made.
About Ohio State
• No. 15 Ohio State enters the game with a 9-1 overall record and has won its last three games, including a 73-71 win over Bucknell on Dec. 15.
• The Buckeyes also defeated Horizon League member Cleveland State, 89-62, on Nov. 23.
• Leading Ohio State is Kaleb Wesson who is averaging 15.1 points per game.
• C.J. Jackson is also in double figures with 12.4 points per game.
The Ohio State Series
• This is the fifth meeting between Youngstown State and Ohio State and the first since 2016.
• The Buckeyes own a 4-0 advantage in the all-time series and defeated the Penguins, 77-40 in the last meeting on Dec. 20, 2016.
Penguins vs. the B1G
Big 10 0-18
Michigan State 0-2
Ohio State 0-4
Penn State 0-1
Penguins Against Ranked Opponents
• This is the 26th time the Penguins have faced a nationally-ranked opponent in program history.
• Youngstown State owns a record of 1-24 in those contests.
• Since joining Division I in 1981-82, Youngstown State has played 20 games against ranked opponents and is 0-20 in those games.
• YSU's last game against a ranked opponent was Purdue on Dec. 12, 2015.
A Win Would
• Give Youngstown State its first win over Ohio State.
• Mark YSU's first win over a team from the B1G.
• Snap a four-game losing streak to Ohio State.
• Mark Jerrod Calhoun's 137th career win and his 13th at Youngstown State.
• Mark the 1,089th victory in program history.
• Give the Penguins an 5-8 overall record.
• Mark YSU's second win of the season.
• Youngstown State opens Horizon League play against Detroit Mercy on Friday, Dec. 28. Tipoff is slated for 2 p.m. at the Beeghly Center.