Posted: Dec 27, 2018
|Youngstown State vs. Detroit Mercy|
|Date & Time||Friday, Dec. 28 | 2 p.m.|
|Location||Beeghly Center | Youngstown, Ohio|
|Radio||570 WKBN | iHeartRadio|
|TV||ESPN+ | WatchESPN|
|Game Notes||YSU Notes | UDM Notes|
|Live Tweets||@YSUMensHoops | @YSUSports|
|Hash Tags||#GoGuins | #HLWBB|
|Mobile App||YSU Front Row|
• Youngstown State opens Horizon League play against Detroit Mercy, Friday, Dec. 28. Tipoff is set for 2 p.m. at the Beeghly Center.
• The Penguins close out the homestand against Oakland, Sunday, Dec. 30, at 2 p.m.
• Jerrod Calhoun is in his second year at Youngstown State and his seventh season overall as a head coach. The 13th head coach in program history, Calhoun owns a career mark of 136-71 overall and is 12-33 at Youngstown State. The Cleveland, Ohio, native came to YSU after spending five years at Fairmont State, where he led the Fighting Falcons to the 2017 NCAA Division II National Championship game and a 34-3 overall record. Calhoun was named the 2017 Mountain East Conference Coach of the Year and the Mountain East Conference Men's Sports Coach of the Year.
• Mike Davis is in his first season as the head coach at Detroit Mercy and his 19th season overall as a head coach. Davis owns a career record of 355-250 and a 3-9 mark at Detroit Mercy. Davis, who has guided three different teams (Indiana, UAB, Texas Southern) to the NCAA Tournament, led Indiana to a national runner-up finish in 2002.
• Sophomore Naz Bohannon hauled down a career-high 19 rebounds against Central Michigan on Dec. 4. That total marks the most rebounds in a game by a YSU player since Adam Baumann had 21 in 2003. He is averaging 9.2 rebounds per game and ranks third nationally with 4.08 offensive rebounds per game.
• This is the 48th meeting between Youngstown State and Detroit Mercy in a series that dates back to 1953. The Titans owns a 38-9 advantage in the all-time series and have won the last 11 contests. The last time YSU defeated the Titans was a 77-63 victory on Jan. 18, 2014.
• Sophomore Garrett Covington posted the first double-double of his career with a career-high 26 points and a career-best 13 rebounds against Central Michigan on Dec. 4.
• Freshman Darius Quisenberry averaged 14 points and three assists per game over the last three games. He also shot 45.2 percent from the floor in those contests.
• Youngstown State continues league play at home against Oakland, Sunday, Dec. 30. Tipoff is set for 2 p.m. and will be broadcast on 570 WKBN and ESPN+.
About Detroit Mercy
• Detroit Mercy opens Horizon League play with an overall record of 3-9 and has lost its last six games, including a 69-55 defeat at Xavier.
• The Titans also have losses to Western Michigan (89-76) and Akron (71-59), both mutual YSU opponents.
• Freshman Antoine Davis leads the Titans and the Horizon League with 26 points per game.
• Senior Josh McFolley is also averaging double figures with 12.1 points per game.
The Detroit Mercy Series
• This is the 48th meeting between Youngstown State and Detroit Mercy in a series that dates back to 1953.
• The Titans owns a 38-9 advantage in the all-time series and have won the last 11 contests.
• The last time YSU defeated the Titans was a 77-63 victory on Jan. 18, 2014.
• Youngstown State won five straight from Feb. 14, 2007, through Jan. 1, 2009, but Detroit Mercy won 20 of the last 22 games since.
Last time Out
• Freshman Darius Quisenberry scored a team-high 17 points in a 75-56 loss to No. 15 Ohio State.
• The Penguins led the Buckeyes by as many as 12 in the first half and by three at halftime.
A Win Would
• Give Youngstown State its 10th win over Detroit Mercy.
• Snap an 11-game losing streak to the Titans.
• Mark YSU's first win over Detroit Mercy since 2014.
• Mark the third straight season YSU started league play 1-0.
• Mark Jerrod Calhoun's 137th career win and his 13th at Youngstown State.
• Mark the 1,089th victory in program history.
• Give the Penguins an 5-9 overall record and a 1-0 mark in Horizon League play.
• Mark YSU's third home win of the season.