Jan 09, 2019
|Youngstown State at UIC|
|Date & Time||Thursday, Jan. 10 | 8 p.m.|
|Location||Credit Union 1 Arena |Chicago, Ill.|
|Radio||570 WKBN | iHeartRadio|
|TV||ESPN3 | WatchESPN|
|Game Notes||YSU Notes | UIC Notes|
|Live Tweets||@YSUMensHoops | @YSUSports|
|Hash Tags||#GoGuins | #HLWBB|
|Mobile App||YSU Front Row|
• Youngstown State plays the third of four straight Horizon League road games when it visits UIC, Thursday, Jan. 10. Tipoff is slated for 8 p.m. ET and will be broadcast on 570 WKBN.
• The Penguins close out their four-game road trip against IUPUI, Saturday, Jan. 12, at 1 p.m.
• Jerrod Calhoun is in his second year at Youngstown State and his seventh season overall as a head coach. The 13th head coach in program history, Calhoun owns a career mark of 137-74 overall and is 13-36 at Youngstown State. The Cleveland, Ohio, native came to YSU after spending five years at Fairmont State, where he led the Fighting Falcons to the 2017 NCAA Division II National Championship game and a 34-3 overall record. Calhoun was named the 2017 Mountain East Conference Coach of the Year and the Mountain East Conference Men's Sports Coach of the Year.
• Steve McClain is in his fourth season as head coach at UIC and his 13th overall season as a head coach. He owns a career record of 206-184 and a 56-85 record with the flames.
• Youngstown State's 25-point win over Milwaukee on Jan. 5 was the largest margin of victory in a true road game in YSU's Division I era (1981-82). It's also the largest margin of victory in a true road game since 1979 (39) at Ashland. The 14 points allowed by the Penguins in the first half against the Panthers are the fewest since they gave up 14 to Georgia on Nov. 12, 2012.
• This is the 41st meeting between Youngstown State and UIC in a series that dates back to 1993. The Flames own a 29-11 advantage in the all-time series. UIC has won the last four games and five of the last seven. The last time Youngstown State won at UIC was an 82-78 victory on Jan. 28, 2016.
• Freshman Darius Quisenberry has been superb in Horizon League play. Quisenberry is averaging 17.3 points, 4.3 rebounds, 4.5 assists and 2.5 steals per game. He has scored in double figures in each game and owns an assist-to-turnover ratio of 2.6. Over the last seven games, Quisenberry averaged 15. 9 points and 3.9 assists per game and shot 84.4 percent from the free-throw line.
• Sophomore Naz Bohannon hauled down a career-high 19 rebounds against Central Michigan on Dec. 4. That total marks the most rebounds in a game by a YSU player since Adam Baumann had 21 in 2003. He is averaging 9.2 rebounds per game and ranks third nationally with 4.08 offensive rebounds per game.
• Sophomore Garrett Covington posted the first double-double of his career with a career-high 26 points and a career-best 13 rebounds against Central Michigan on Dec. 4.
• Junior Kendale Hampton tied a career high with seven 3-pointers made against Robert Morris on Nov. 28. He also led the Penguins with a career-high 32 points with seven 3s in the Penguin's 94-83 win over Columbia on Nov. 16. His seven 3-pointers are tied for fourth on the YSU single-season chart. The last YSU player to make at least seven 3s in a game was Matt Donlan against Robert Morris on Nov. 30, 2016. Hampton is just the sixth player in school history to record multiple games of at least seven 3-pointers made.
• The Penguins have made at least 10 3-pointers seven times this season and have made at least eight 3s in a game on 15 occasions.
• In Youngstown State's 17 games, the Penguins have had six different leading scorers. Sophomore Garrett Covington has led the Penguins five times and freshman Darius Quisenberry four times, while juniors Kendale Hampton and Donel Cathcart III have led the Penguins three times. Junior Devin Morgan and freshman Olamide Pedersen have led in scoring once.
• Sophomore Garrett Covington and junior Devin Morgan scored 26 and 25 points, respectively, against Central Michigan. It marked the second time his season a pair of YSU players scored at least 20 points in the same game. Junior Donel Cathcart III and freshman Darius Quisenberry each scored career highs with 27 and 21 points, respectively, against FIU on Nov. 18. It marked the first time two player reached at least 20 points in the same game since Feb. 24, 2018.
• Youngstown State closes out its four-game road trip when it takes on IUPUI, Saturday, Jan. 12
• Tipoff is set for 1 p.m. ET and will be broadcast on 570 WKBN and ESPN+.
• UIC enters the game with a 7-9 overall record and a 1-2 mark in league play.
• The Flames have lost their last two league games - 73-58 to Northern Kentucky on Dec. 30 and 66-64 to IUPUI on Jan. 4 - after defeating Wright State 75-72 on Dec. 28.
• Leading the Flames is Marcus Ottey with 16.3 points per game and Tarkus Ferguson with 15.3 points per contest.
The UIC Series
• This is the 41st meeting between Youngstown State and UIC in a series that dates back to 1993.
• The Flames own a 29-11 advantage in the all-time series.
• UIC has won the last four games and five of the last seven.
• The last time Youngstown State won at UIC was an 82-78 victory on Jan. 28, 2016.