Posted: Jan 04, 2019
|Youngstown State at Milwaukee|
|Date & Time||Saturday, Jan. 5 | 5 p.m.|
|Location||UW-Milwaukee Panther Arena | Milwaukee, Wis.|
|Radio||570 WKBN | iHeartRadio|
|Game Notes||YSU Notes | Milwaukee Notes|
|Live Tweets||@YSUMensHoops | @YSUSports|
|Hash Tags||#GoGuins | #HLWBB|
|Mobile App||YSU Front Row|
• Youngstown State closes its two-game swing through Wisconsin when it visits Milwaukee, Saturday, Jan. 5. Tipoff is slated for 5 p.m. ET and will be broadcast on 570 WKBN.
• The Penguins play two more road games next week starting with a matchup against UIC, Thursday, Jan. 10, at 8 p.m.
• Jerrod Calhoun is in his second year at Youngstown State and his seventh season overall as a head coach. The 13th head coach in program history, Calhoun owns a career mark of 136-74 overall and is 12-36 at Youngstown State. The Cleveland, Ohio, native came to YSU after spending five years at Fairmont State, where he led the Fighting Falcons to the 2017 NCAA Division II National Championship game and a 34-3 overall record. Calhoun was named the 2017 Mountain East Conference Coach of the Year and the Mountain East Conference Men's Sports Coach of the Year.
• Patrick Baldwin is in his second season as head coach at Milwaukee and his second as a head coach. He owns a career mark of 22-28 in two years.
• Sophomore Naz Bohannon hauled down a career-high 19 rebounds against Central Michigan on Dec. 4. That total marks the most rebounds in a game by a YSU player since Adam Baumann had 21 in 2003. He is averaging 9.2 rebounds per game and ranks third nationally with 4.08 offensive rebounds per game.
• This is the 44th meeting between Youngstown State and Milwaukee in a series that dates back to 1972. The Panthers own a 31-12 advantage in the all-time series and have won seven of the last nine contests. Last season, the Penguins and Panthers split the season series each winning on their own home court.
• Sophomore Garrett Covington posted the first double-double of his career with a career-high 26 points and a career-best 13 rebounds against Central Michigan on Dec. 4.
• Over the last six games, freshman Darius Quisenberry averaged 16.5 points and 3.5 assists per game over. He scored a career-high 24 points against Green Bay on Jan. 3. He also posted 21 points against Oakland on Dec. 30.
• Junior Kendale Hampton tied a career high with seven 3-pointers made against Robert Morris on Nov. 28. He also led the Penguins with a career-high 32 points with seven 3s in the Penguin's 94-83 win over Columbia on Nov. 16. His seven 3-pointers are tied for fourth on the YSU single-season chart. The last YSU player to make at least seven 3s in a game was Matt Donlan against Robert Morris on Nov. 30, 2016. Hampton is just the sixth player in school history to record multiple games of at least seven 3-pointers made.
• The Penguins have made at least 10 3-pointers six times this season and have made at least eight 3s in a game on 14 occasions.
• In Youngstown State's 15 games, the Penguins have had six different leading scorers. Sophomore Garrett Covington and freshman Darius Quisenberry have led the Penguins four times, while juniors Kendale Hampton and Donel Cathcart III have led the Penguins three times. Junior Devin Morgan and freshman Olamide Pedersen have led in scoring once.
• Sophomore Garrett Covington and junior Devin Morgan scored 26 and 25 points, respectively, against Central Michigan. It marked the second time his season a pair of YSU players scored at least 20 points in the same game. Junior Donel Cathcart III and freshman Darius Quisenberry each scored career highs with 27 and 21 points, respectively, against FIU on Nov. 18. It marked the first time two player reached at least 20 points in the same game since Feb. 24, 2018.
• Youngstown State continues its four-game road trip in the Windy City when it takes on UIC, Thursday, Jan. 10.
• Tipoff is set for 8 p.m. ET and will be broadcast on 570 WKBN and ESPN+.
• Milwaukee enters the game with a 6-9 overall record and a 1-1 mark in the Horizon League.
• The Panthers are coming off an 83-76 win over Cleveland State on Jan. 3.
• Darius Roy leads the Panthers with 16.7 points per game.
The Milwaukee Series
This is the 44th meeting between Youngstown State and Milwaukee in a series that dates back to 1972.
• The Panthers own a 31-12 advantage in the all-time series and have won seven of the last nine contests.
• Last season, the Penguins and Panthers split the season series each winning on their own home court.
• YSU won, 72-63, at the Beeghly Center while the Panthers were victorious, 66-55, at UW-Milwaukee Panther Arena.