Nov 30, 2018
|Youngstown State at West Virginia|
|Date & Time||Saturday, Dec. 1 | 4 p.m.|
|Location||WVU Coliseum | Morgantown, W.Va.|
|Radio||570 WKBN | iHeartRadio|
|TV||AT&T SportsNet Pitt|
|Game Notes||YSU Notes | WVU Notes|
|Live Tweets||@YSUMensHoops | @YSUSports|
|Hash Tags||#GoGuins | #HLWBB|
|Mobile App||YSU Front Row|
• The Youngstown State men's basketball team continues its two-game road trip with a matchup against Big 12 member West Virginia, Saturday, Dec. 1. Tipoff is slate for 4 p.m. at the WVU Coliseum.
• Jerrod Calhoun is in his second year at Youngstown State and his seventh season overall as a head coach. The 13th head coach in program history, Calhoun owns a career mark of 135-67 overall and is 11-29 at Youngstown State. The Cleveland, Ohio, native came to YSU after spending five years at Fairmont State, where he led the Fighting Falcons to the 2017 NCAA Division II National Championship game and a 34-3 overall record. Calhoun was named the 2017 Mountain East Conference Coach of the Year and the Mountain East Conference Men's Sports Coach of the Year.
• Bob Huggins is in his 12th season as head coach at West Virginia and his 37th overall as a head coach. He owns a career record of 849-343 and led the Mountaineer to nine NCAA Tournaments, including the 2010 Final Four. At WVU, Huggins has won 259 games, and he ranks third in total victories among active Division I head coaches and seventh among the NCAA's all-time winningest coaches
Storylines and Notes
• Junior Kendale Hampton tied a career high with seven 3-pointers made against Robert Morris on Nov. 28. He also led the Penguins with a career-high 32 points with seven 3s in the Penguin's 94-83 win over Columbia on Nov. 16. His seven 3-pointers are tied for fourth on the YSU single-season chart. The last YSU player to make at least seven 3s in a game was Matt Donlan against Robert Morris on Nov. 30, 2016. Hampton is just the sixth player in school history to record multiple games of at least seven 3-pointers made.
• YSU Head Coach Jerrod Calhoun spent five years on Bob Huggins' staff at West Virginia.
• This is the fifth meeting between Youngstown State and West Virginia in a series that dates back to 1942. The Mountaineers own a 4-0 advantage in the all-time series. This is the first meeting between Youngstown State and West Virginia as a member of the Big 12 Conference.
• The Penguins have made at least 10 3-pointers four times this season and have made at least eight 3s in a game on seven occasions.
• In Youngstown State's eight games, the Penguins have had five different leading scorers. Junior Kendale Hampton has led the Penguins three times, Donel Cathcart III was tops in scoring twice while junior Devin Morgan, sophomore Garrett Covington and freshman Olamide Pedersen have all led in scoring once.
• Junior Donel Cathcart III and freshman Darius Quisenberry each scored career highs with 27 and 21 points, respectively, against FIU on Nov. 18. It marked the first time two player reached at least 20 points in the same game since Feb. 24, 2018.
• The Penguins return to the Beeghly Center for a two-game homestand starting with a matchup against Central Michigan, Tuesday, Dec. 4.
• Tipoff is slated for 7 p.m. and will be broadcast on 570 WKBN and ESPN+.
About West Virginia
• West Virginia enters the game with an overall record of 4-2 and is coming off a 92-78 win over Rider on Nov. 28.
• Leading the Mountaineers is Esa Ahmad with 16.8 points per game.
• Sagaba Konate is averaging 15 points, eight rebounds and 2.2 blocks per game.
The West Virginia Series
• This is the fifth meeting between Youngstown State and West Virginia in a series that dates back to 1942.
• The Mountaineers own a 4-0 advantage in the all-time series.
• Head Coach Jerrod Calhoun spent five years on Bob Huggins's staff at West Virginia from 2007-12
• YSU Director of Basketball Operations is a 2008 graduate of West Virginia and served as a student assistant under Bob Huggins.
• YSU redshirt freshman Geoff Hamperian is a native of Morgantown, W.Va.
A Win Would
• Give Youngstown State its first win over West Virginia.
• Mark YSU' first win over a Big 12 opponent.
• Snap a four-game losing streak to the Mountaineers.
• Mark the Penguins second win over a Power 5 opponent.
• Mark Jerrod Calhoun's 136th career win and his 12th at Youngstown State.
• Mark the 1,088th victory in program history.
• Give the Penguins an 4-5 overall record.
• Mark YSU's first true road win of the season.
Penguins Dig the Long Ball
• Youngstown State has made at least 10 3-pointers on four different occasions this season.
• Most recently, the Penguins made 11 against Robert Morris on Nov. 28.
• The Penguins made 12 against Westminster on Nov. 21 and Akron on Nov. 10.
• Against Columbia on Nov. 16, the Penguins made a season-high 14 3-pointers.
• It that total ranks tied for fourth on the YSU single-game list for most 3-pointers made.
• YSU has also made at least eight 3-pointers in six of seven games.
• The Penguins rank 19th nationally with 67 made 3-pointers through seven games.
Hampton For 7
• Junior Kendale Hampton tied a career high with seven 3-pointers against Robert Morris on Nov. 28.
• It marked the second time this season he made seven 3s.
• He is the sixth player in school history to record at least seven 3-pointers on multiple occasions.
• Quin Humphrey made eight twice, Blake Allen and Craig Haese each made seven four times and Elmer Brown and David Henderson both accomplished the feat twice.