Posted: Nov 14, 2019
|Youngstown State at Louisiana|
|Date & Time||Friday, Nov. 15 | 8 p.m.|
|Location||CajunDome | Lafayette, La.|
|Radio||570 WKBN | iHeartRadio|
|TV||ESPN+ | WatchESPN|
|Game Notes||YSU Notes | Louisiana Notes|
|Live Tweets||@YSUMensHoops | @YSUSports|
|Hash Tags||#GoGuins | #HLMBB|
|Mobile App||YSU Front Row|
• The Youngstown State men's basketball team heads down to the Bayou for the program's first meeting against Louisiana on Friday, Nov. 15. in the CajunDome.
• Tipoff is slated for 8 p.m. and the game will be broadcast on 570 WKBN, ESPN+, and WatchESPN App.
• Jerrod Calhoun is in his third year at Youngstown State and his eighth season overall as a head coach. The 13th head coach in program history, Calhoun owns a career mark of 145-83 overall and is 21-45 at Youngstown State. The Cleveland, Ohio, native came to YSU after spending five years at Fairmont State, where he led the Fighting Falcons to the 2017 NCAA Division II National Championship game and a 34-3 overall record. Calhoun was named the 2017 Mountain East Conference Coach of the Year and the Mountain East Conference Men's Sports Coach of the Year.
• Bob Marlin is in his 10th season at Louisiana and owns a record of 176-125 with the Ragin' Cajuns. He owns a career record of 524-291 in 27 seasons as a head coach and carries a 401-256 mark in 22 years as a Division I head coach. Marlin has been the architect of a resurgence of the Ragin' Cajuns as he has led the team to five postseason appearances in a seven-year span. With a combined 131 wins since the 2013-14 season, Marlin has helped the Ragin' Cajuns to their best win total among schools in the Sun Belt Conference.
• This is the first meeting between Youngstown State and Louisiana.
• The Penguins are coming off a 78-55 loss to No. 5 Louisville on Nov. 10.
• This is the second time Youngstown State will play in the State of Louisiana and just the third game against an opponent from Louisiana.
• The last time YSU played in Lafayette, La., was in 1985 when it lost to Georgia Southern, 61-59, on Dec. 20, and to North Texas State, 85-72, on Dec. 21.
• The Penguins played Southeastern Louisiana in 2004 and 1987 at neutral sites. The Penguins own a 1-1 record against the Lions.
• Junior Naz Bohannon led the Penguins with 14 points while sophomore Darius Quisenberry scored 11 points and senior Devin Morgan added 10 points.
• Junior Jamir Thomas posted a career-high 11 rebounds.
• YSU returns all five starters and 10 letterwinners from last season.
• The Penguins return 77.9 percent of their scoring, 82 percent of their rebounding, and 83.2 percent of made 3-pointers.
• Youngstown State's eight Horizon League wins tied for the second-most in school history.
• YSU had a six-game league winning streak for the first time in since 1997-98.
• YSU set the school record for most 3-pointers in a single-season with 303.
• Last year, Darius Quisenberry set YSU freshman records for most 3-pointers made (51), most free throws made (106) and most free throws attempted (133).
• Quisenberry became the first YSU freshman to earn All-Horizon League honors after being named to the all-league second-team.
• Quisenberry's 441 points were the most scored by a freshman since YSU joined the Division I ranks in 1981-82.
• Junior Naz Bohannon ranked second in the Horizon League with 8.3 rebounds per game.
• Bohannon's career average of 8.2 rebounds per game ranks second in YSU's Division I history and 10th overall.
• Sophomore Jelani Simmons set the YSU freshman record for highest 3-point field-goal percentage at .402 last season.
• Simmons also ranked fifth in the Horizon League with a .402 3-point field-goal percentage.
• Junior Garrett Covington was named to the Horizon League All-Defensive Team.
• Senior Devin Morgan led the team with 60 made 3-pointers.
Louisiana is currently 2-1 after wins over Loyola (La.) (95-67) on Nov. 5 and McNeese State (85-80) on Nov. 9, and a 98-65 loss to TCU on Nov. 12. Leading the Ragin Cajuns is Jalen Johnson with 21.3 points and 6.7 rebounds per game. Cedric Russell is averaging 17.0 points per game while Kobe Julien, Mylik Wilson and Dou Gueye are in double figures with 11.3, 11.0 and 10.0 points per game, respectively.
The Louisiana Series
This is the first meeting between Youngstown State and Louisville.
Last Time Out
The Penguins dropped a 78-55 decision to No. 5 Louisville on Nov. 10 at the KFC YUM! Center. Junior Naz Bohannon led the Penguins with 14 points and eight rebounds while sophomore Darius Quisenberry had 11 points and senior Devin Morgan added 10 points.
Thomas Grabs Career High Rebounds
In just his second game with Youngstown State, junior Jamir Thomas posted the first double figure rebound game of his career. Thomas grabbed a career-high 11 boards to go along with eight points against Louisville on Nov. 10.
Bohannon on the Boards
Junior Naz Bohannon has picked up right where he left off on the glass. Bohannon is averaging 8.0 rebounds per game after two games. In his career, Bohannon has 517 rebounds for a career average of 8.2 rebounds per game.
Quisenberry Nearing 500 Career Points
Sophomore Darius Quisenberry is on his way to 500 career points. The Springfield, Ohio, native has 468 points through 34 career games for a career average of 13.8 points per game, and needs just 32 more to reach 500. Last season, Quisenberry scored 441 points as a freshman.
The Penguins return home to host North Carolina Central, Tuesday, Nov. 19, at the Beeghly Center. Tipoff is slated for 7 p.m.
A Win Would
• Give YSU its first win over Louisiana.
• Mark the Penguins first win in the State of Louisiana.
• Mark Jerrod Calhoun's 146th career win and his 22nd at YSU.
• Mark the 1,098th victory in program history.
• Give the Penguins an 2-1 overall record
• Mark YSU's first road win of the season.