Posted: Nov 29, 2019
|Youngstown State at Central Michigan|
|Date & Time||Saturday, Nov. 30 | 4:30 p.m.|
|Location||McGuirk Arena | Mount Pleasant, Mich.|
|Radio||570 WKBN |IHeart Radio|
|TV||ESPN+ | WatchESPN|
|Game Notes||YSU Notes|
|Live Tweets||@YSUMensHoops | @YSUSports|
|Hash Tags||#GoGuins | #HLMBB|
|Mobile App||YSU Front Row|
• The Youngstown State men's basketball team gears up for its fifth road game in the first month of the season when it visits Central Michigan, Saturday, Nov. 30, at McGuirk Arena.
• Tipoff is slated for 4:30 p.m. and the game will be broadcast on 570 WKBN, ESPN+, and WatchESPN App.
• Jerrod Calhoun is in his third year at Youngstown State and his eighth season overall as a head coach. The 13th head coach in program history, Calhoun owns a career mark of 148-85 overall and is 24-47 at Youngstown State. The Cleveland, Ohio, native came to YSU after spending five years at Fairmont State, where he led the Fighting Falcons to the 2017 NCAA Division II National Championship game and a 34-3 overall record. Calhoun was named the 2017 Mountain East Conference Coach of the Year and the Mountain East Conference Men's Sports Coach of the Year.
Keno Davis is in his eighth season as head coach at Central Michigan and his 12th season overall. He owns a career record of 200-166 and a 126-111 mark with the Chippewas. Last season, Central Michigan posted a record of 23-12.
• This is the ninth meeting between Youngstown State and Central Michigan in a series that dates back to 1985.
• Central Michigan owns a 6-2 advantage in the all-time series and has won the last two meetings.
• Last season, the Chippewas defeated the Penguins, 100-94, in triple overtime.
• Youngstown State is coming off a 93-67 win over Westminster on Nov. 27.
• Junior Garrett Covington scored a game-high 20 points on 7-of-9 shooting from the field while sophomore Darius Quisenberry added 15 points.
• The Penguins posted their first road win of the season after a 66-61 victory at USC-Upstate on Nov. 23.
• Sophomore Darius Quisenberry led three players scoring in double figures with 22 points.
• Quisenberry tied a school record with 15 made free throws and set the school mark for free-throw attempts with 20.
• Sophomore Jelani Simmons had 12 points and junior Michael Akuchie recorded the first doubled-double of his career with 11 points and 10 rebounds.
• Last time at home, the Penguins also defeated NC Central 66-60 on Nov. 19.
• Junior Naz Bohannon posted his first double-double of the season and the eighth of his career with a career-high 19 points and 11 rebounds.
• Sophomore Darius Quisenberry scored 17 points while sophomore Geoff Hamperian poured in a career-high 14 points.
• YSU returns all five starters and 10 letterwinners from last season.
• The Penguins return 77.9 percent of their scoring, 82 percent of their rebounding, and 83.2 percent of made 3-pointers.
• Youngstown State's eight Horizon League wins tied for the second-most in school history.
• YSU had a six-game league winning streak for the first time in since 1997-98.
• YSU set the school record for most 3-pointers in a single-season with 303.
• Last year, Darius Quisenberry set YSU freshman records for most 3-pointers made (51), most free throws made (106) and most free throws attempted (133).
• Quisenberry became the first YSU freshman to earn All-Horizon League honors after being named to the all-league second-team.
• Quisenberry's 441 points were the most scored by a freshman since YSU joined the Division I ranks in 1981-82.
• Junior Naz Bohannon ranked second in the Horizon League with 8.3 rebounds per game.
• Bohannon's career average of 8.1 rebounds per game ranks second in YSU's Division I history and 10th overall.
• Sophomore Jelani Simmons set the YSU freshman record for highest 3-point field-goal percentage at .402 last season.
• Simmons also ranked fifth in the Horizon League with a .402 3-point field-goal percentage.
• Junior Garrett Covington was named to the Horizon League All-Defensive Team.
• Senior Devin Morgan led the team with 60 made 3-pointers.
About Central Michigan
Central Michigan enters the game with a 5-2 record after dropping an 88-75 decision at DePaul on Nov. 26. The Chippewas have four players averaging in double figures led by Dallas Morgan with 16.9 points per game. David DiLeo is averaging 14.6 and Kevin McKay is posting 14.2 points per game.
The Central Michigan Series
• This is the ninth meeting between Youngstown State and Central Michigan in a series that dates back to 1985. Central Michigan owns a 6-2 advantage in the all-time series and has won the last two meetings. Last season, the Chippewas defeated the Penguins, 100-94, in triple overtime.
Last Time Out
Junior Garrett Covington led the Penguins to a 93-67 win over Westminster with a game-high 20 points on 7-of-9 shooting from the floor, a pair of 3s, and went 4-for-5 from the free-throw line. Sophomore Darius Quisenberry also reached double figures with 15 points, five assists, and four steals.
Akuchie Nets double-double
Junior Michael Akuchie posted the first double-double of his career in the Penguins 66-61 win over USC-Upstate on Nov. 23. Akuchie scored 11 points with 10 rebounds against the Spartans. He also collected a pair of blocks with two assists.
Quisenberry sets FT Marks
Sophomore Darius Quisenberry became the first player in program history to attempt 20 free throws in a game after he went 15-for-20 from the line against USC-Upstate. Not only did he set the single-game free-throw attempts record, he tied the program's free-throws made mark with 15.
Bohannon on the Boards
Junior Naz Bohannon has picked up right where he left off on the glass. Bohannon is averaging 6.6 rebounds per game after six games. In his career, Bohannon has 547 rebounds for a career average of 8.1 rebounds per game. Bohannon now ranks second in rebounds per game and 11th in total rebounds in Youngstown State's Division I history.
Quisenberry Nabs 500 Career Points
With 17 points against NC Central on Nov. 19, sophomore Darius Quisenberry reached 500 career points and now has 557 through 39 games. The Springfield, Ohio, native carries a 14.0 points per game career average. Last season, Quisenberry scored 441 points as a freshman. The last sophomore to reach 500 points was Cameron Morse in his 35th game. Kendrick Perry reached his 500th career point as a sophomore in his 46th game.
The Penguins return home to host Robert Morris, Wednesday, Dec. 4, at Beeghly Center. Tipoff is slated for 7 p.m.
A Win Would
• Give YSU its third win over Central Michigan.
• Mark YSU's first win over Central Michigan since 2013.
• Mark YSU's first back-to-back non-league road wins since 2014. YSU defeated Robert Morris, 89-81, on Dec. 2 and South Dakota, 87-79, on Dec. 5.
• Mark Jerrod Calhoun's 149th career win and his 25th at YSU.
• Mark the 1,100th victory in program history.
• Give the Penguins a 5-3 overall record
• Mark YSU's second road win of the season.