The Youngstown State softball team won at least 25 games for the fourth consecutive season, finished in the top three of the Horizon League for the fourth straight year, and broke a 15-year-old consecutive win-streak record to highlight a successful 2019 season.
Below is a list of team and individual accomplishments during the 2019 campaign:
- The Penguins won 25 games overall for the fourth straight season, which marks the first time in school history YSU has won at least 25 games in four consecutive years.
- Youngstown State also won 13 games in Horizon League play and finished third in the league. Over the last four seasons, the Penguins have won a combined 59 Horizon League games for an average of 14.8 wins per season.
- Head Coach Brian Campbell won his 250th game at Youngstown State when the Penguins defeated Green Bay, 4-0, on May 3. Campbell is YSU softball's winningest coach with 251 wins. He also has 536 career victories.
- From March 20 through April 3, the Penguins set a school record with 11 consecutive wins, breaking the old mark of 10 set in 2004.
- The pitching staff set a school record with 393 strikeouts, which broke the record of 288 set in 2014.
- Freshman Addy Jarvis turned in a record-breaking rookie campaign and was named the Horizon League Freshman of the Year. Jarvis set the YSU single-season strikeout record with 218. She is the first YSU player to record at least 200 strikeouts in a season. Jarvis' 218 strikeouts also rank ninth on the YSU career chart.
- Jarvis also set the YSU single-game strikeout record of 15 against Niagara on April 3, and broke her own mark with 16 against Northern Kentucky in 15.2 innings on April 23.
- Jarvis led the Horizon League in strikeouts and shutouts, ranked third in wins (12), opponent batting average (.235) and fourth in earned-run average (2.58).
- Senior Lexi Zappitelli was named to the All-Horizon League Second-Team after posting a .309 overall batting average and a .329 average in league play.
- Zappitelli, who was also named to the Horizon League Softball All-Academic Team, ended her career with a .342 batting average, which ranked sixth on the YSU career list.
- Senior Paige Geanangel ended her career ranked in the top 10 in several career pitching categories. She ranked tied for fourth with 39 wins, seventh with 72 starts and eighth with 454.1 innings pitched and 223 strikeouts.
- Junior Elizabeth Birkbeck was named to the 2019 Horizon League All-Tournament Team after batting .500 with a pair of home runs, two runs scored and three RBIs in the postseason. Birkbeck tied for the team lead with six home runs and had a team-best .505 slugging percentage.
- Elle Buffenbarger struck out 117 batters in 2019 and moved into sixth on the YSU career strikeout chart with 249.
- Sophomore Nikki Saibene tied a school single-game record with seven runs batted in against Oakland on March 24. Saibene, who belted five home runs on the year, hit a grand slam and a three-run home run in YSU's 14-9 win over the Golden Grizzlies.
- Freshman Grace Cea was named to the Horizon League All-Freshman Team. She led the team and ranked 10th in the league with 31 runs batted in. She also hit five home runs and led the team with 11 doubles.