Columbus, Ohio - Youngstown State's Taylor McDonald set a school record in the 400m hurdles to lead four event winners for the Penguins Track and Field teams at the Jesse Owens Classic which concluded on Saturday at Ohio State's Jesse Owens Stadium.
McDonald set a school record of 58.87 seconds in the 400m hurdles to win the event. The previous mark of 1:00.18 was set by Jen Shiley in 2015. McDonald was second to Shiley, but become the first runner to go under 59 seconds on Saturday.
Also winning events were Chad Zallow, Collin Harden and Jaliyah Elliott. Elliott won the 100m dash with a time of 11.60 seconds while Zallow won the 110m hurldes with a time of 13.71 seconds. Harden won the 400m hurdles with a time of 51.99 seconds.
McDonald won her event by 0.29 seconds ahead of Western Michigan's Lindsey Hufnagel and Ohio State State's Christine London (0.41 seconds).
Elliott won her event by the slimmest of margins, 0.01 seconds ahead of Ohio State's Aaliyah Barnes. The Buckeyes took spots two through five, but Elliott was faster than their group of four.
Zallow won his 110m hurdle race by 0.40 seconds. Placing second was Juan Scott of Central State who ran a 14.11 while OSU's DaJuan Seward was third at 14.12 seconds.
Harden took first by 0.07 seconds placing ahead of Malone's Ashton Dulin. Those two runners were the only two to run under 52.50. Harden's time was just 0.01 seconds off his school record.
Zallow finished fourth in the 200m dash with a career-best time of 21.18 seconds
Also finishing in the top five was Abby Jones who was second in the high jump clearing the bat at 1.68m. It was a career-best effort for Jones. In the pole vault, Sarina Mauerman and Caitlyn Trebella each cleared a height of 3.58m to tie for third place.
Tim Holzapfel was second in the high jump clearing a height of 1.98m. His career-best effort tied him for second with six other jumpers.
Ryan Booth was third in the discus with a throw of 47.63m and placed sixth in the shot put with a throw of 17.67m.
Other Finishes and Performances of Note
- Amber Eles was sixth in the 100m hurdles with a time of 13.88 seconds.
- Jaynee Corbett was sixth in the shot put with a throw of 15.45m.
- Taylor Thompkins was seventh in the 100m dash with at time of 11.88 seconds.
- Kesihawnna Burts and Thompkins were 13th and 14th in the 200m dash.
- Iva Domitrovich was 19th in the 400m dash.
- Elle Pollock had a leap of 5.28m in the long jump.
- Chandler Killins had a leap of 11.18m in the triple jump.
- Jaynee Corbett had a throw of 50.89 m in the hammer.
- Nicolette Kreatsoulas throw of 46.21 m in the hammer.
- Kreatsoulas was ninth in the discus with a throw of 41.99m.
- Angela Lock had a throw of 33.75 m in the javelin.
- Joe Dixon was fifth in the men's javelin with a throw of 59.53 m.
- Alan Burns ran a time of 3:57.07 in the 1,500m run while Mike Navratil had a 4:02.59.
- Ethan Wilson ran a 15:41.90 in the 5,000m run.
- YSU was fifth in the women's 4x100m relay with time of 47.23 seconds (Thompkins, McDonald, Eles Burts).
- Carl Zallow was eighth in the 100m dash with a time of 10.92 seconds.
- Brendon Lucas was seventh in the 200m dash with a time of 21.47 seconds.
- YSU was fourth in the men's 4x100m relay with a time of 41.69 seconds (Carl Zallow, Lucas, Harden and Josh Beaumont).