Youngstown State sophomore Chad Zallow will compete in the 110m hurdles on Wednesday at the NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Championships in Eugene, Oregon. Zallow will run at Historic Hayward Field in Tracktown at 8:32 p.m. Eastern Time/5:32 Pacific Time.
The semifinal race will be carried on ESPN2 and the Watch ESPN App. The three 110m hurdle heats will be the first live races shown on Wednesday night.
Zallow, who finished third in the 60m hurdles at the NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships in March, had the ninth-fastest qualifying time during the Preliminary Round finals on May 27.
He is the first Penguin runner to advance this far on the outdoor national stage. Should Zallow advance to the finals he will be the first YSU Track and Field athlete in school history to be a first-team Outdoor All-American.
Eleven of the 24 runners in the outdoor 110m also competed in the 60m hurdles at the indoor meet in College Station, Texas. Florida's Grant Holloway won the 60m hurdles title.
Iowa's Aaron Mallett had the top time in the NCAA Prelims running a race of 13.36 seconds in the West Region. Zallow ran a heat-winning time of 13.68 seconds to move on to the semifinal round. The top 13 qualifiers all ran 13.70 seconds or faster to reach the NCAA meet at Tracktown.
Zallow and Georgia's Devon Williams ran the fastest times during the year prior the the NCAA Prelims both clocking marks of 13.37 seconds. Zallow's time was on March 30 in Gainesville, Fla., at the Florida Relays. Williams is one of the nation's top decathletes and did not run the hurdles at the prelims. He is ranked No. 2 heading into the NCAA meet.
Iowa's Aaron Mallett ran a 13.36 at regionals while Alabama's Ruebin Walters clocked a time of 13.39 seconds to lead the East Regional.
The top eight runners (top two in each heat and next two fastest times) advance to the finals which are Friday at 9:12 p.m. Eastern/6:12 p.m. Pacific.
Zallow's 2017 Accomplishments
- NCAA Semifinals Qualifier (110m Hurdles)
- NCAA Quarterfinal Time and First Round Times were 13.68 seconds (won heat with both)
- 2017 Horizon League Outdoor Championship Outstanding Running Performer
- 2017 Horizon League Champion 110m hurdles (meet record 13.79 seconds)
- 2017 Horizon League Champion 100m dash (meet record 10.59 seconds)
- 2017 Horizon League Alfreeda Goff Athlete of the Year
- 2017 Florida Relays Percy Beard Award Winner (Winning 110m Hurdles 13.37 seconds)
- Won 110m Hurdles BYU Last Chance Meet (13.70 seconds)
- Won 110m Hurdles at OSU Jesse Owens Classic (13.71 seconds)
- Won 100m dash at GMU Invitational (10.69 seconds)
- School-record time of 13.37 seconds set on March 30 (Was nation's top time until end of May)