Kent, Ohio - Youngstown State junior Abby Jones tied the school record in the high jump to lead a strong performance by members of the YSU Track and Field team on Saturday at the Golden Flash Gala hosted by Kent State at the Kent State Field House.
Jones tied the school mark of 1.73m that was held since Jan. 29, 2011, by Katrina Rettburg. Jones' previous career-best effort was a 1.72m leap that she had last weekend at the YSU Icebreaker and during the 2017 indoor season. Jones cleared the bar on her first attempts at 1.65m and 1.70m before taking a crack at 1.73m. On her second attempt she cleared the bar to tie the school mark. At the Golden Flash Gala she was the only person to clear 1.70m to win the event.
The Penguins had a strong performance in the sprints and the hurdles.
Carl Zallow took first in the 60m dash with a time of 6.86 seconds beating Ashland's Myles Pringle by just 0.03 seconds.
Amber Eles won in the blink of an eye in the 60m hurdles finals. Eles ran a time of 8.49 seconds to nip Ursuline (Ohio)'s Janelle Perry at the line by 0.01 seconds. It was the second 60m hurdles victory of the year for Eles.
Chad Zallow also picked up his second win of the year in the 60m high hurdles running a time of 7.71 seconds in the event final. He beat Kyle Walker, an unattached runner, by 0.27 seconds.
Shelby Marken led a 1-2-3 YSU finish in the pole vault as three Penguins cleared 3.42m. Marken won by clearing the height on her first attempt. Placing second was Sarina Mauerman while Cailtlyn Trebella placed third.
Jaynee Corbett finished second in the shot put by just 0.03 meters. Corbett placed just behind unattached thrower Lindsay Baker.
Brandon Mosley took second in the 400m with a time of 49.42 seconds.
The Penguins are next in action on Jan. 19 at the YSU College Invitational.
Other Notable Performances
- Chad Zallow was third in the 200m with a time of 21.63 seconds
- Tim Holzapfel was fourth in the long jump with a leap of 6.78m
- Carl Zallow placed fifth in the 200m with a time of 21.99 seconds
- Iva Domitrovich was fifth in the 400m with a time of 58.55 seconds
- Josh Beaumont was fifth in the 60m dash with a time of 7.10 seconds
- C.J. Schumacher was fifth in the 500m with a time of 1:09.14
- Noah Bayus was fifth in the long jump with a mark of 6.69m
- Daiquin Watson was fifth in the triple jump with a leap of 13.84m
- Glen Knowles placed fifth in the 400m with a time of 50.57 seconds
- Taylor Thompkins was sixth in the 60m dash with a time of 7.72 seconds
- Teneisha Myers was sixth in the 200m with a time of 25.35 seconds