The Youngstown State raised the curtain on its 2017-18 campaign on Friday at the WATTS as the Penguins hosted their annual YSU Icebreaker. Several Penguins collected wins while Jaynee Corbett eclipsed her school record in the shot put.
Corbett won the shot put and weight throw, Abby Jones (high jump), Taylor Thompkins won the 60m dash, Amber Eles won the 60m hurdles while Chad Zallow won the 60m high hurdles and the 200m dash during the night. Placing second in various events at the meet were Ryan Booth (shot put), Tim Holzapfel (high jump), Ryan Sullivan (5,000 meters) and McKinsie Klim (3,000 meters).
On her first throw of the year, Corbett's heave of 16.00m broke her school mark of 15.44m which she set last year. Corbett had four throws that eclipsed 15.44m during the meet. Later, Corbett uncorked a throw of 16.75 on her first throw in the weight throw to claim that crown.
Zallow started out hot in his signature event running a time of 7.71 seconds in the prelims before blasing a time of 7.65 seconds in the finals of the 60m high hurdles. He won the event by 0.56 seconds.
Zallow headlined a dominate performance by the Penguins in the 200m dash. Zallow won with a time of 21.58 seconds while Carl Zallow was third (21.79 seconds), Josh Beaumont was fourth (22.31 seconds) and Brandon Mosely was sixth.
Eles also earned a solid win running a time of 8.54 seconds in the 60m hurdles. Eles won her race by 0.29 seconds. Thompkins had a much closer race in the 60m dash final. Thompkins ran a winning time of 7.66 seconds to defeat Slippery Rock's Reagan Hess who had a time of 7.70 seconds.
Jones had an impressive night in the high jump clearing her first five attempts and tied her personal-best with leap of 1.72m.
Booth had a best throw of 16.30m in the shot put finishing behind unattached athlete James Miller who won with a 16.45m. Sullivan had a time of 14:51.37 in the 5,000m and was just 1.5 seconds behind Walsh's Mark Hadley. Holzafel cleared 2.00m meters but was second to unattached athlete Arnaldo Morales. Klim had a time of 10:47.88 finishing runner up to Duquesne's Ava Pietrzyk.
Other Notable YSU Performances
- Caitlyn Trebella was third in the pole vault at 3.55m
- Jennifer Muhlenkamp was third in the mile with a time of 5:22.69
- Cole Lovett was third in the mile with a time of 4:22.36
- C.J. Schumacher was third in the 800m with a time of 1:59.29
- Myron Anderson finished third in the 60m hurdles at 8.32 seconds
- Shelby Marken placed fourth in the pole vault at 3.40m
- Dylan Latone was fourth in the pole vault at 4.62m
- Carl Zallow finished fourth in the 60m dash with a time of 6.92 seconds
- Teneisha Myers finished placed third in the 200m with a time of 25.49 seconds and fourth in the 400m with a time of 58.27 seconds
- Nicolette Kreatsoulas was fourth in the hammer throw with a toss of 14.87m
- Jessica Stever was fourth in the long jump with a leap of 5.32m
- Daiquain Watson was fourth in the triple jump with a leap of 13.48m
- Kaitlyn Merwin was fifth in the shot put with a throw of 13.15m
- Pierlus Stewart placed fifth in the 400m with a time of 50.22 seconds
- Glen Knowles was fifth in the 800 with a time of 1:59.70
Duquesne 81, Robert Morris 40