Akron, Ohio - Members of the Youngstown State men's and women's track and field team were in action on Friday evening as they competed in the Akron Zips Invitational from the Stile Athletics Field House.
Chad Zallow, Pierlus Stewart, Jaliyah Elliott, Brendon Lucas, Suerethia Henderson, Kaitlyn Merwin, and Ashleigh Rowley won events as the rest of the Penguins had one final tune up before next weekend's Horizon League Championship at the WATTS.
Zallow took first place in the 60m hurdles with a time of 7.72 seconds, while Collin Harden finished in second place with a time of 8.00 seconds. Zallow also went on to win the 60m dash with a time of 6.73 seconds. Elliott took first in the 60m dash with a time of 7.39 seconds. Stewart won the 400m with a time of 49.48 seconds.
Lucas won the 200m dash at the with a time of 21.93 seconds while, Collin Harden, Josh Beaumont, and Jamynk Jackson were right behind him in second, third and fourth respectively. Harden and Beaumont finished with personal-best times of 22.02 seconds and 22.12 seconds, while Jackson came in with a time of 22.261 seconds.
Suerethia Henderson won the 200m with a time of 24.26 seconds. Kaitlyn Merwin took home first in the shot put with a personal-best throw of 15.26m. Ashleigh Rowley won the 3,000m with a personal-best time of 10:16.53!
The Penguins had multiple third place finishes including Iva Domitrovich in the 200m, Matthew Mangus in the 3,000m, and Zach Gehm in the shot put. Domitrovich finished with a personal-best time of 25.66 seconds, while Mangus ran a time of 9:26.11. Gehm had a toss of 15.04m in the shot put on his way to a third place finish.
Other Notable YSU Performances
- Cole Smith was fourth in the 60m hurdles (8.17 seconds)
- Destiny Washington was fourth in the 60m hurdles (8.88 seconds)
- Antonella LaMonica was fourth in the 60m dash (7.90 seconds)
- Mikel Lagaras was fourth in the 800m (2:00.33)
- Zach Gehm was fourth in the weight throw (15.67m) and shot put (15.04m)
- Sammy Dyson was fourth in the shot put (12.13m)
- Brock Wooten was fourth in the pole vault (4.33m)
- Cole Lovett was fifth in the 1 mile run (4:18.51)
- Reshanna Simon was fifth in the weight throw (15.43m)
- Antonella LaMonica was fifth in the 200m (25.99 seconds)
- Jennifer Muhlenkamp was sixth in the 1 mile run (5:06.62)
- Shelby Marken was sixth in the pole vault after clearing a personal-best mark of 3.72m
- Jett Murphy was sixth in the pole vault after clearing a personal-best mark of 4.75m