The Youngstown State men's and women's outdoor track and field teams had three student-athletes named to the Horizon League All-Academic Team for the 2019 season, the league office announced on Wednesday. The teams were voted on by the conference's faculty athletics representatives.
Receiving Academic All-Horizon League honors were, Jake Wilson, Abby Jones and Jennifer Muhlenkamp. Wilson and Jones are honored for the second year in a row while Muhlenkamp was recognized for the first time her career.
Jake Wilson, Youngstown State University | Junior
3.58 GPA, Biology
- Was a member of the 2018 Horizon League All-Academic Team
- Won the javelin title at the Horizon League Outdoor Championships
- Set the school record in the javelin with a throw of 66.98m
- Qualified for the 2019 NCAA East Preliminaries on Thursday
Abby Jones, Youngstown State University | Senior
4.00 GPA, Physical Education
- Is now a four-time member of the Horizon League All-Academic Team (Outdoor/Indoor)
- Was named to the 2018 Google Cloud Academic All-District Women's Track & Field/Cross Country First Team
- Won the high jump at the Horizon League Outdoor Championships for the third consecutive year
- Had a season-best mark of 1.72m
Jennifer Muhlenkamp, Youngstown State University | Senior
3.94 GPA, Criminal Justice
- Muhlenkamp finished third in the 10000m at the Horizon League Outdoor Championships
- She ran the fourth fastest 10000m time in school history at the Bison Outdoor Classic (36:34.08)
- Finished seventh in the 5000m at the league meet with the fifth fastest time in program history at 17:29.76
The Horizon League recognizes student-athletes with seasonal Academic All-League Teams in each of its 19 championship sports. To be eligible for Horizon League All-Academic consideration, a student-athlete must have a cumulative grade-point-average of 3.20 or higher (based on a 4.00 scale) and have completed at least one year at the member institution, having earned 24 semester-hour or 36 quarter-hour credits.