Youngstown, Ohio - The Youngstown State men's and women's track and field teams had a dominating performance on Day 2 of the YSU Mid-Major Invitational held at the WATTS.
Winning events on Saturday for the Penguins were Abby Jones (high jump), Kaitlyn Merwin (shot put), Dom Westbay (shot put), Daiquain Watson (triple jump), Dylan Latone (pole vault), Jaliyah Elliott (60m dash, 200m), and Chad Zallow (200m).
Jones won the high jump clearing a height of 1.69m on her first attempt. Merwin was the winner of the shot put with a personal-best throw of 14.15m on her fifth attempt of the afternoon.
Westbay captured a first place finish in the shot put with a throw of 17.33m on his final toss of the evening. Daiquain Watson won the triple jump with a jump of 14.20m on his final leap of the day. Senior Dylan Latone was the winner of pole vault after clearing a mark 4.61m on his first attempt.
Junior Jaliyah Elliott had another strong performance by winning the 60m dash and 200m. Elliot won the 60m dash while setting a YSU National Mid-Major Invitational record with a time of 7.38 seconds. Elliott also posted a personal-best time of 24.19 seconds in the 200m.
Senior Chad Zallow set a YSU National Mid-Major Invitational record with a time of 21.37 seconds in the 200m on his way to a first place finish.
Sophomore Kira Neef placed second in the high jump after clearing a personal-best mark of 1.66m on here first attempt.
Watson finished in a three-way tie for second in the high jump after clearing 1.90m on his first attempt of the afternoon. Jett Murphy, Wyatt Lefker and Brook Wooten finished in a five-way tie for second in the pole vault after clearing a mark of 4.31m on their first attempts.
Suerethia Henderson finished second in the 60m dash and 200m. In the 60m dash, Henderson posted a time of 7.61 seconds and in the 200m, she clocked in at 24.37 seconds.
Brendon Lucas earned a second place finish in the 60m dash with a time of 6.94 seconds. Later in the meet, Lucas picked up a third place finish in the 200m dash with a time of 21.74 seconds.
Jessica Stever finished in a three-way tie for third in the high jump after clearing a mark of 1.56m on here second attempt. Natalie Fleming recorded a third place finish in the 1 mile run with a personal-best time of 5:12.07. Cody Sikora took third place in the 400m with a time of 48.99 seconds.
To close out the meet, senior Alan Burns finished third in the 3,000m with a time of 8:41.36.
Other Notable YSU Performances
- Nicolette Kreatsoulas was fourth in the shot put (13.19m)
- Antonella LaMonica was fourth in the 200m (7.83 seconds)
- Iva Domitrovich was fourth in the 400m (58.92 seconds)
- Cole Smith was fourth in the 60m hurdles (8.48 seconds)
- Jamynk Jackson was fourth in the 200m dash (22.13 seconds)
- Seth Stokes was fifth in the high jump (1.85m)
- Destiny Washington was fifth in the 60m hurdles (9.18 seconds) and 200m (7.85 seconds)
- Myron Anderson was fifth in the 60m hurdles (8.52 seconds)
- Josh Beaumont was fifth in the 200m dash (22.32 seconds)
- CJ Schumacher was sixth in the 1 mile run (4:23.44)
- Jamynk Jackson was sixth in the 60m dash (7.07 seconds)
- Antonella LaMonica was sixth in the 200m dash (25.93 seconds)