Youngstown, Ohio - Senior Chad Zallow set a school and WATTS' facility record in the 60m dash, and sophomore Chontel Fils broke the triple jump record as the Youngstown State men's and women's track and field team's turned in a solid performance at the YSU College Invitational on Friday afternoon.
After posting a time of 6.78 seconds in the prelims, Zallow turned it up a notch in the finals to break the facility and school record on his way to a first place finish. Zallow turned in a time of 6.72 seconds which was fast enough to beat Kofi Owusu Anash's record by .01 seconds. Later in the afternoon, Zallow went on to take second place in the 200m with a time of 21.45 seconds.
On her fifth jump of the evening, Fils captured the new school record and a first place finish in the triple jump with a leap of 12.28m. Fils also had a third place finish in the long jump with a jump of 5.70m.
Suerethia Henderson started off her afternoon by winning the 60m dash with a time of 7.68 seconds. Henderson edged out second place finisher Peter-Gay McKenzie (West Virginia) by .05 seconds. A few events later, Henderson took first place in the 200m with a winning time of 24.93 seconds.
On his fifth throw of the afternoon, senior Dom Westbay clinched a first place finish in the shot put with a throw of 17.17m. Westbay surpassed his personal-best throw by .01m, which was set earlier this season at the YSU Icebreaker.
Daiquain Watson took first place in the triple jump with a jump of 13.72m. Watson's second jump of the afternoon was good enough to beat out Ashland's Jared Ryder by .03m.
Nicole Squatrito finished second in the 800m with a time of 2:16.27. Squatrito was bested by Point Park's Anna Shields who went on to set the WATTS' facility record (2:07.51).
Collin Harden placed second in the 60m hurdles with a time of 8.00 seconds. Jennifer Muhlenkamp finished second in the 5,000 meters with a a time of 18:18.33, and Destiny Washington took second in the 60m hurdles (8.71 seconds)
Notable YSU Performances
- Cole Lovett third in the one mile run (4:21.11)
- Terron Taylor third on the high jump (1.95m)
- Kaitlyn Merwin third in the shot put (13.97m)
- Brandon Orlando third in the shot put (16.27 m)
- Sean Peterson third in the 800m (1:55.16)
- Abby Jones third in the high jump (1.68m)
- Dylan Latone third in the pole vault (4.66m)
- Tyler Polman fourth in the 5,000m (15:24.30)
- Chris Butler fourth in the 3,000m ( 8:52.26)
- Iva Domitrovich fourth in the 400m (58.48 seconds)
- Maggie Sebest fifth in the 5,000m (18:36.13)
- Ethan Sparks fifth in the one mile run (4:23.24)
- Jessica Stever fifth in the long jump (5.53m)
- Samuel Challis fifth in the long jump (6.62m)
- Olivia Jones fifth in the high jump (1.68m)
- Wyatt Lefker fifth in the pole vault (4.51m)
- Ashleigh Rowley sixth in the 5,000m (18:49.64)
- Jett Murphy sixth in the pole vault (4.51m)
- Nicolette Kreatsoulas sixth in the weigh throw (16.72 m)