Dec 26, 2014
|Youngstown State vs. Akron|
|Date & Time||Monday, Dec. 29, at 7 p.m.|
|Tickets||YSU Athletic Ticket Office | (330) 941-1YSU|
|Radio||iHeartRadio | 570 WKBN|
|Video||ESPN3 | (MyYTV on Delay)|
|Live Stats||PrestoSports Prime Time|
|Live Tweets||@YSUsports | @YSUWomensHoops | @javogel34|
|Hash Tags||#GoGuins | #HLWBB|
|Mobile App||YSU Front Row|
- Beeghly Center will be the site of a battle between two 10-win rivals on Monday when Youngstown State hosts Akron at 7 p.m. The game, which will be just the fourth in the country this season between two teams with at least 10 victories, will be broadcast live on 570 WKBN, iHeartRadio and ESPN3.
- The Penguins are 10-1 for the first time since 1997-98, and they were 10-0 for the first time as a Division I program before losing 78-52 at Pittsburgh last Sunday. Akron is 10-0 for the first time in school history.
- The Penguins won 10 straight games for the first time since the 1997-98 season. YSU has posted winning streaks of at least six games in three straight seasons after not having any from 2000-01 through 2011-12.
- YSU has played Akron more than any other team except Cleveland State in its history. The Guins have a 37-15 edge in the all-time series and have won two of the last three.
- Youngstown State will be looking to rebound from its worst offensive performance of the season. The Penguins scored a season-low 52 points while shooting a season-worst 25.8 percent in the loss at Pittsburgh on Dec. 21.
- Senior forward Heidi Schlegel moved into 10th place on YSU's all-time scoring list at Pittsburgh. She now has 1,296 points in her career.
A Win Would...
- Give YSU an 11-1 start for the first time since 1997-98.
- Be YSU's 38th all-time against Akron, its most against any opponent.
- Be YSU's 22nd in its last 30 games.
On This Date
- Youngstown State is 4-6 all time in games played on Dec. 29, and the Penguins will be playing on the date for the third straight year. YSU lost 91-75 at Akron last Dec. 29, and it beat Bucknell 69-51 at Beeghly Center in 2012.
- YSU has scored at least 68 points in its four wins, and it is 4-2 when it scores at least 68.
- Akron is 10-0 for the first time ever, and it has won 26 of its last 28 contests dating back to last season.
- The Zips rank in the top 10 nationally in scoring offense with 84.7 points per game, and they also rank in the top 15 in scoring margin, field-goal percentage, assists per game and assist-to-turnover ratio.
- Warren native Anita Brown is the MAC's top scorer at 20.5 points per game, and Sina King is third in the conference with 19.7 points per contest.
Series with Akron
- Youngsotwn State has played Akron more than any other non-Horizon League team, and the Penguins are 37-15 all time against the Zips. YSU is 17-5 in the series at Beeghly Center. The teams have played every season since 1996-97.
- YSU won back-to-back games in 2011 and 2012, and Akron won at home last year on Dec. 29. Youngstown State won eight straight contests from 1977 to 1981 and seven consecutive matchups from 1996 to 2002
Last Time vs. Akron
- Youngstown State trimmed a 15-point halftime deficit down to four in the second half but couldn't keep up with Akron down the stretch in a 91-75 loss on Dec. 29, 2013.
- Akron scored 13 straight points late in the first half and led by 15 at halftime. The Zips then scored 36 points over the final seven minutes to pull away.