|Youngstown State vs. Oakland|
|Date & Time||Wednesday, Feb. 11, at 5:15 p.m.|
|Location||Beeghly Center | Youngstown, Ohio|
|Tickets||YSU Athletic Ticket Office | (330) 941-1YSU|
|Radio||iHeartRadio | 570 WKBN
|Video||ESPN3 (Live) | MyYTV (Delay)|
|Live Tweets||@YSUsports | @YSUWomensHoops | @javogel34|
|Hash Tags||#GoGuins | #HLWBB|
|Mobile App||YSU Front Row|
- Youngstown State will complete the bulk of its home Horizon League schedule on Wednesday when it hosts Oakland at 5:15 p.m. at Beeghly Center. The game, which will be broadcast live on 570 WKBN, iHeartRadio and ESPN3, is part of a doubleheader with the YSU men's team.
- Three of the Penguins' five Horizon League losses have come by one possession, including a 66-63 overtime loss to UIC on Saturday. YSU also lost by three points at Oakland on Jan. 24.
- After Wednesday, YSU will play four of its next five contests on the road. Saturday's contest will be at Detroit, a team that beat the Penguins 59-58 on Jan. 28.
- Although the Penguins were 6-3 at this juncture of the conference season last year, they are only one game off last year's pace in terms of who they've beaten.
- YSU is one of six Horizon League teams who has between three and five wins. The Penguins' next three games are against three of those teams.
- Youngstown State has matched its win total from all of last season with at least eight games remaining. YSU has won at least 15 games for the third straight season after winning 14 or fewer in each of the previous 12 seasons.
- Heidi Schlegel became the seventh player in school history to reach 1,500 career points and 700 career rebounds on Saturday against UIC. She's eighth in program history in career points and tied-for-10th in rebounds, and she is three free throws from setting the career record for free throws made.
- Schlegel ranks second in the Horizon League in double-doubles, and she's third in rebounding and fifth in scoring. She's making a strong case to be the first Penguin in 15 years to earn first-team all-conference honors in back-to-back seasons.
- The Penguins are 26-14 overall since the start of Horizon League play in 2013-14, and they are 25-16 in conference games since the start of league play in 2012-13.
- Youngstown State leads the country in free-throw percentage at 78.5 percent. It also leads the Horizon League in 3-point field-goal percentage (.355), and it is ranked second in field-goal percentage (.419).
A Win Would...
- Give YSU at least 16 wins in its first 23 games for the second time in the last three years.
- Give YSU three straight victories over Oakland at Beeghly Center and avenge an 85-82 loss at Oakland on Jan. 24.
- Allow YSU to surpass last season's win total.
- Be YSU's 27th in its last 41 games.
On This Date
- YSU is 5-8 all time in games played on Feb. 11, and the Penguins will be looking to snap a four-game skid on the date. YSU's last win on Feb. 11 came in 1999 at Chicago State.
- The last time the Penguins played on Feb. 11, they made a school-record 16 3-pointers at Loyola in 2012. Additionally, they blocked 10 shots, tied for the third most in school history, versus Western Illinois on the date in 1993. Donna Djorovic had six of those blocks, tied for the fourth most by an individual in school history, against the Leathernecks.
- Oakland, like YSU, is one of four Horizon League teams that has a 4-5 conference record. The Golden Grizzlies went 1-1 in the first two games of their four-game away stretch last week. They handed Green Bay its first conference loss of the season last Wednesday and lost to Milwaukee on Friday.
- Oakland ranks second in the Horizon League in scoring offense at 70.7 points per game, and it leads the conference in assists per game, 3-pointers per game and 3-point field goal percentage defense.
- Individually, Olivia Nash ranks ninth in the conference with 13.5 points per game, and three more Golden Grizzlies average at least 9.4 points per game. Five Oakland players have made more than 20 3-pointers.
Series with Oakland
- Youngstown State has a 5-8 record all time against Oakland, including a 3-3 mark at Beeghly Center.
- Since Oakland joined the Horizon League last season, both teams are 2-0 at home with one close win and one sizeable win. The Penguins beat Oakland 79-64 in the regular season and 68-64 in the Horizon League Tournament at Beeghly Center last year.
- Oakland beat YSU 85-82 on Jan. 24 in a game that featured 14 lead changes and eight ties. Oakland outscored YSU 8-2 over the final 2:20 to defeat the Penguins 85-82.
- YSU trailed by as many as 10 in the second half, but it answered with an 11-0 run and eventually led by five with eight minutes left.
- Heidi Schlegel finished with 22 points, nine rebounds and five assists, and Nikki Arbanas made six 3-pointers in a 20-point effort for Youngstown State.
UIC shot 50 percent and used a strong defense on the perimeter in the second half to overcome a 12-point halftime deficit and beat Youngstown State 66-63 in overtime on Saturday.
The Penguins outshot the Flames 44.4 percent to 24.3 percent in the first half, but UIC held a 50 percent to 26.3 percent edge in the second half of regulation. YSU also committed 13 turnovers in the second half and another in overtime as UIC's guards were bothersome in the backcourt.
YSU used two runs – an 11-2 run early and a 14-4 spurt late – in the first half to go up 33-21 at halftime. UIC scored the first eight points of the second half to get within four, but YSU scored the next seven points to lead 40-29 with 12:12 left. The Flames tied the score at 49, and their first lead of the second half came at 51-49 with 4:26 left.
YSU led 59-57 with less than a minute left in regulation before Ruvanna Campbell made two free throws, and the Flames missed twice on game-winning attempts in the final five seconds.
The Flames scored the first five points of overtime, and YSU missed two 3-pointers in the final 10 seconds that would have tied the game. The Penguins went 0-for-7 from the field in overtime.
- All five Penguins starters scored between 10 and 15 points.
- Heidi Schlegel reached 1,500 career points and 700 career rebounds in the contest. She led the Penguins with 15 points, while recording a game-high 17 rebounds.
- Schlegel was limited to two field-goal attempts in the second half as YSU struggled to get into an offensive flow. She went 6-for-6 from the free-throw line in the final 25 minutes.
- YSU held Ruvanna Campbell to five points on 2-for-12 shooting in the first half, but she scored 18 points on 7-of-8 from the field in the second half.
- UIC grabbed 19 offensive rebounds, which it turned into a 12-5 edge in second-chance points.
Barnes is Second-Fastest to 30 Wins
- John Barnes earned his 30th victory as Youngstown State's head coach when the Penguins beat Milwaukee on Jan. 31. That 30th win came in Barnes' 51st game at YSU.
- Only Joyce Ramsey, the program's head coach when it started official play in 1975-76, reached 30 wins faster – in 44 games. Legendary coach Ed DiGregorio, who finished with 320 in his career, reached 30 in his 74th game. Bob Boldon got his 30th win in 79 games, and Tisha Hill achieved her 30th in her 104th contest.
Schlegel Reaches two milestones; FT Record Near
- Senior Heidi Schlegel reached two significant milestones in Youngstown State's game versus UIC on Feb. 7. The fifth-year senior scored her 1,500th career point and grabbed her 700th career rebound in the contest.
- Schlegel's career totals of 1,500 points and 711 rebounds are the eighth most and 10th most, respectively, in program history. She has career averages of 13.8 points and 6.5 rebounds, and her averages over the past two seasons are 18.4 points and 8.8 rebounds.
- In addition to her superiority in scoring and rebounding, Schlegel is three free throws from setting the program record for most made free throws in a career. Schlegel has 441, two behind Brandi Brown's current record of 443. Schlegel set the single season record with 192 makes last year.