|Youngstown State at Robert Morris|
|Date & Time||Wednesday, Dec. 17, at 7 p.m.|
|Location||Sewall Center (Moon Township, Pa.)|
|Radio||1390 WNIO | iHeartRadio|
|Video||NEC Front Row|
|Live Tweets||@YSUsports | @YSUWomensHoops | @javogel34|
|Hash Tags||#GoGuins | #HLWBB|
|Mobile App||YSU Front Row|
- Youngstown State begins a busy stretch before Christmas Break with a contest at Robert Morris on Wednesday at 7 p.m. The game from the Sewall Center will be broadcast live on 1390 WNIO and iHeartRadio.
- The Penguins are 8-0 for the first time as a Division I program and for the first time since they won the first 17 games of the 1978-79 season. YSU is one of 14 Division I women's basketball teams who remain undefeated.
- YSU is coming off an impressive 80-48 victory at Canisius on Saturday. The 32-point margin of victory was YSU's largest on the road since beating Chicago State 87-54 on Feb. 10, 2000.
- YSU has now held four opponents to fewer than 50 points and six to fewer than 60 points. Canisius was averaging 77 points over a four-game winning streak entering Saturday's game.
- The Penguins rank fifth in the country in 3-point field goal percentage after going 12-for-20 from distance at Canisius. YSU was actually 12-of-17 at one point before missing its last three attempts.
- In addition to ranking fifth nationally in 3-point field goal percentage, YSU is 10th in scoring defense, 14th in field goal percentage defense, 16th in 3-pointers per game, 17th in assist-to-turnover ratio and 20th in scoring margin.
- YSU had five players score in double figures for the second time this season. The Penguins have had at least four players score 10-plus points five times.
- YSU has won eight straight games for the first time since the 1998-99 season. The Penguins have posted winning streaks of at least six games in three straight seasons after not having any from 2000-01 through 2011-12.
- YSU picked up its eighth win last season on Jan. 18, its 17th game. The Penguins were 2-6 through eight games in 2013-14.
- Starting with Wednesday's game at Robert Morris, YSU plays three games in a five-day span. The Penguins will host their Second Annual Kids "Field Trip" Basketball Game, presented by Chick-Fil-A of Boardman, on Friday against Ohio Valley. They'll then travel to Pittsburgh on Sunday for a 2 p.m. contest against the Panthers.
A Win Would...
- Give YSU an 9-0 start for the first time since 1978-79.
- Improve YSU's record against Robert Morris to 15-4.
- Be YSU's fifth road win of the season. The Penguins were 4-6 in road contests in 2013-14.
On This Date
- Youngstown State is 2-7 all time in games played on Dec. 17, and it has lost five straight contests on the date.
- Wednesday's game will be YSU's first on Dec. 17 since 2009. YSU lost that day 94-58 at Saint Francis (Pa.).
- YSU's last win on Dec. 17 was a 73-67 victory over Edinboro in 1988. The Penguins also won at Ohio in 1986.
Scouting Robert Morris
- Robert Morris has a 2-6 record following a 71-57 home loss to Duquesne on Sunday. The Colonials have dropped four straight decisions following a 75-58 win over Coppin State on Nov. 25.
- The Colonials were selected to repeat as champions of the Northeast Conference in the coaches preseason poll despite not having one player earn preseason all-conference honors.
- Robert Morris has four freshmen and four sophomores on its roster, and it graduated its all-time leading scorer and rebounder. Sophomore guard Anna Niki Stamolamprou leads RMU in scoring with 17.8 points per game, and she has 21 3-pointers on a 43.8 percent clip from distance.
Series with Robert Morris
- Youngstown State holds a 14-4 lead in the all-time series against Robert Morris. The teams have played just four times since 1996, and Wednesday will be the first meeting since Dec. 18, 2006.
- The Penguins won the first four meetings, and they won seven straight altercations with the Colonials from 1992 to 2002. Robert Morris won the last two games in the series – 68-60 on Nov. 18, 2005, at RMU, and 84-54 on Dec. 18, 2006, at YSU.
- YSU has scored fewer than 64 points in three of its four losses to the Colonials. The Penguins are 14-1 in the series when scoring at least 64 points.
YSU made 12 of its first 17 attempts from 3-point range and had five players score in double figures in an impressive 80-48 win at Canisius on Saturday evening.
The Penguins shot 54.5 percent overall and finished 12-for-20 from beyond the arc for 60 percent. They did not attempt a 3-pointer in the final nine minutes.
YSU was 8-for-12 from distance in the first half, and it went on a big 17-4 run midway through the period to grab hold of the game. Canisius led 14-13 but went more than eight minutes without a field goal. By that time, YSU had built a 30-18 advantage and led by at least eight the rest of the contest.
- YSU had 28 assists on 30 field goals versus the Golden Griffins. That was the most assists by the Penguins since having 28 at Chicago State on Feb. 10, 2000. Three players had at least five assists.
- The Penguins enjoyed their largest margin of victory on the road since beating Chicago State 87-54 on Feb. 10, 2000.
- YSU snapped a five-game losing streak to Canisius and won at the Koessler Athletic Center for the first time.
- Kelsea Newman was 5-for-9 from 3-point range, tying her career high for 3-pointers in a game. She missed her first two attempts then made five straight. Her final two misses were forced at the end of the shot clock.
- Foul trouble limited Heidi Schlegel to two points in two minutes in the first half. She had nine points in the second half.