|Youngstown State at Tennessee State|
|Date & Time||Sunday, Nov. 30 at 3 p.m. ET|
|Radio||570 WKBN | iHeartRadio|
|Video||Big South Network|
|Live Stats||Stat Broadcast|
|Live Tweets||@YSUsports | @YSUWomensHoops | @javogel34|
|Hash Tags||#GoGuins | #HLWBB|
|Mobile App||YSU Front Row|
- The Youngstown State women's basketball team will try to match its best start to a season as a Division I program when it plays at Tennessee State on Sunday. The game, which will be the finale of the Teresa Phillips Thanksgiving Classic, will start at 3 p.m. Eastern and will be broadcast live on 570 WKBN, iHeartRadio and the OVC Digital Network.
- YSU improved to 5-0 after a slim 51-50 win over Nicholls State on Saturday. Indiya Benjamin hit a free-throw with seven seconds remaining to break a 50-50 tie. The Penguins overcame 27 turnovers in the victory.
- YSU is 5-0 for the first time since the 1996-97, which is the only season that the Penguins have been 6-0 while competing at the Division I level.
- YSU picked up its fifth win last season on Jan. 9, its 14th game. The Penguins are plus-16.6 in scoring margin so far after being minus-12.8 last November.
- YSU returns three starters but just five letter winners from last year's squad. Heidi Schlegel is a preseason First-Team All-Horizon League pick after averaging 20 points in 2013-14. The Penguins have a Horizon League high seven freshmen on the roster.
A Win Would...
- Give YSU a 6-0 start for the first time since 1996-97 and for just the second time at the Division I level (started in 1981-82).
- Improve YSU's record to 35-37 against teams from the Ohio Valley Conference.
- Be YSU's first over a team in the OVC since 1996.
- Make YSU 3-0 all-time against Tennessee State.
On This Date
- Youngstown State is 7-6 all-time in games played on Nov. 30. One of those games, a 91-60 loss to Vanderbilt, was played in Nashville in 2002.
- The Penguins have won three of their last five games played on Nov. 30, and they'll be playing on this date for the fourth straight year.
- YSU has scored at least 70 points in each of its seven wins on Nov. 30.
Scouting Tennessee State
- Tennessee State is 1-4 overall after losing 65-58 in overtime to Norfolk State on Saturday at the Teresa Phillips Thanksgiving Classic. The Tigers led by as many as seven in the second half but had to rally in the final minute to force the extra period.
- Fifth-year senior forward Chelsea Hudson leads the Tigers with 14 points per game. She is the only TSU player averaging double figures, but the Tigers have 12 players who average at least seven minutes.
- Tennessee State returns 10 letter winners from last year's team and was predicted to finished sixth in the preseason OVC poll.
Series with Tennessee State
- Youngstown State is 2-0 all-time against Tennessee State, but the teams haven't played since the 1987-88 season. YSU beat the Tigers 83-64 and 81-72 that season, with the latter coming in Nashville.
YSU and the OVC
- YSU was a member of the Ohio Valley Conference from 1983-84 to 1987-88 and went 31-39 in 70 OVC games.
- The Penguins have an all-time record of 34-37 against teams currently in the conference, but they haven't played against an OVC team since Dec. 21, 1996, when they beat UT Martin 96-71.
Recapping Nicholls State
Indiya Benjamin's free throw with seven seconds remaining helped YSU escape with a 51-50 win over Nicholls State on Saturday at the Teresa Phillips Thanksgiving Classic.
Heidi Schlegel, who had a double-double, hit a jumper to put YSU up 50-48 with 29 seconds left. NSU tied the game on two free throws with 8.6 seconds left, and Benjamin was fouled trying to break the press. Nicholls State did not get off a quality shot on its final possession.
Schlegel had 15 points and 12 rebounds, and Latisha Walker posted 15 points, 10 rebounds and five blocks. YSU overcame 27 turnovers by holding Nicholls State to 26.7 percent shooting and going 12-for-14 from the free-throw line in the second half.
- YSU, which had led by double digits by at least 15 in each of its first four games, had a largest lead of eight against Nicholls State. That came at 30-22 with 16:52 remaining.
- Walker blocked at least five shots for the second time in the last three games. Prior to her blocking six shots at Radford on Nov. 22, no Penguin had blocked at least five shots in a game since Feb. 3, 2007.
- YSU had its first one-point victory since beating Bucknell 57-56 on Nov. 16, 2011.
- The 51 points were the fewest scored in a victory since a 49-44 win at Cleveland State on Feb. 11, 1978.
- Nikki Arbanas led a defensive effort that held NSU leading scorer Emani White to nine points, 14 below her average.