|Youngstown State at Green Bay|
|Date & Time||Thursday, Feb. 11, at 8 p.m. ET|
|Location||Kress Center - Green Bay, Wis.
|Radio||iHeartRadio | 570 WKBN|
|Video||ESPN3 | WatchESPN|
|Live Tweets||@YSUsports | @YSUWomensHoops | @javogel34|
|Hash Tags||#GoGuins | #HLWBB|
|Text Alerts||Sign Up|
|Mobile App||YSU Front Row|
- YSU embarks on a challenging two-game road swing this week in Wisconsin, starting with a contest at Horizon League-leading Green Bay on Saturday. Tipoff at the Kress Center is set for 8 p.m. Eastern, and the game will be broadcast live on 570 WKBN, iHeartRadio, ESPN3 and the WatchESPN App. YSU will also play fourth-place Milwaukee on Saturday.
- The Penguins are coming off a 69-68 loss against Detroit on Saturday in which they turned a 17-point deficit into a three-point lead in the final minute before falling. The Penguins led 68-65 on an Indiya Benjamin 3, but the Titans scored the last four points of the game in the final minute. YSU trailed Oakland by 14 on Thursday but rallied to win 67-63.
- YSU has trailed by at least a dozen in seven of its 11 league contests, and it has won three of those seven. It was a defensive stop away against Detroit from winning for the fifth time this season when trailing by at least 14.
- The loss to the Titans was impactful in the standings as YSU sits in a tie for fifth – the Penguins would be the tournament's sixth seed currently – instead of third.
- YSU leads the Horizon League and ranks ninth in the country with 9.1 3-pointers per game, and the Penguins have made at least 200 3-pointers for the sixth straight season. YSU made 10 3s vs. Detroit and has sank at least 10 in seven of their last nine games.
- Youngstown State started four underclassmen for the 11th straight game and for the 18th time in 22 games on Saturday against Detroit.
- Sarah Cash ranks fourth in the country and leads the Horizon League with a .637 field-goal percentage. She's averaging 17.6 points in conference play, which is the third-most in the league. Cash has posted a double-double in three straight games.
- Nikki Arbanas has made 57 3-pointers this season, which is the most ever by a YSU sophomore. She is five 3-pointers from entering the top 10 for most made in a season regardless off class. Arbanas has made at least three 3-pointers in six straight games and in eight of her last nine contests.
- Kelsea Newman made four 3-pointers and tied for team-high honors with 15 points against Detroit. She has made multiple 3-pointers in seven of her last eight games and scored in double figures in three straight contests.
Previewing Green Bay
A Win Would...
- Give YSU at least 16 wins in its first 23 games for the third time in the last four years.
- Likely secure a winning season for the third time in the last four years. YSU had 12 straight losing seasons heading into 2012-13.
- Be YSU's second at the Kress Center in the last three seasons.
On This Date
- Youngstown State is 6-8 all time in games played on Feb. 11. YSU beat Oakland 76-54 on Feb. 11, 2015, to snap a four-game losing skid. YSU is 1-0 on Feb. 11 in Wisconsin win a 95-66 win at Milwaukee in 1991.
- YSU made a school-record 16 3-pointers at Loyola on Feb. 11, 2012, in a 78-73 loss to the Ramblers. YSU had 10 blocks, which is tied for the third-most in program history, in an 80-64 win over Western Illinois in 1993.
- Individually, Donna Djorovic had six of YSU's 10 blocks against WIU in 1993, which is tied for the fourth-most by a player in one game. Mary Jo Vodenichar has YSU's top scoring game on Feb. 11 with 30 points at Eastern Kentucky in 1985.
Scouting Green Bay
- Green Bay is atop the Horizon League standings with a 9-1 conference record and a 19-3 overall record. The Phoenix were ranked #22 in the USA Today Coaches Poll before losing 58-56 to Oakland on Jan. 28.
- Green Bay ranks 16th in the country in scoring defense at 52.7 points per game, which is almonst 10 points lower than the closest Horizon League team. Offensively, the Phoenix rank second in the conference in field-goal percentage, 3-point field-goal percentage and 3-pointers per game.
- Allie LeClaire leads Green Bay with 13.2 points per contest, and four other GB players are averaging at least 9.5 points per contest.
Series with Green Bay
- Green Bay leads the all-time series with Youngstown State 33-3, but two of those YSU victories came in the 2013-14 season. The Penguins were the second league team in the last 17 years to beat Green Bay twice in the regular season.
- Last Meeting: Green Bay outscored YSU 33-10 over a 13-minute stretch between the second and third periods to win 68-60 on Jan. 9 at Beeghly Center. YSU led by nine twice in the second period, 26-17 and 28-19, before the game flipped. YSU got no closer than six in the fourth. Nikki Arbanas, Indiya Benjamin and Sarah Cash each scored 13 points for YSU.
Youngstown State erased a 17-point third-period deficit and took a three-point lead with a minute left, but Detroit scored the final four points of the game to escape with a 69-68 victory over the Penguins on Saturday afternoon at Beeghly Center.
Detroit led 36-31 at halftime as YSU battled injuries and foul trouble in the first half, and the Titans extended their lead to 58-41 with 25 seconds left in the third. Alison Smolinski made two free throws on YSU's final possession of the period, and the Penguins scored the first 11 points of the fourth period to get within 58-54 with 7:41 left. YSU tied the score at 65 on two Indiya Benjamin free throws with 1:57 remaining, and Benjamin hit a go-ahead 3-pointer on YSU's next possession as the Penguins took the lead for the first time since midway through the second period.
Rosanna Reynolds scored to get Detroit within one, and the Titans forced a shot clock violation on YSU's next possession. Haleigh Ristovski scored the winning bucket with 1.6 seconds left following an offensive rebound.
Benjamin and Kelsea Newman led YSU with 15 points apiece, and Sarah Cash notched her third straight double-double with 13 points and 11 rebounds. Brianne Cohen led Detroit with 21 points off the bench.
Quick Notes from Detroit
- Detroit had runs of 10-0 and 9-1 in the third period to take its 17-point lead.
- Cash and Newman both scored in double figures for the 20th time in their careers. Newman played a career-high 38 minutes and scored in double figures for the third straight game.
- Newman and Benjamin both surpassed 500 career points. Newman's came in her 83rd career game, and Benjamin's came in her 54th game.
- Prior to her current streak of three straight double-doubles, Cash had two in the first 50 games of her career. Cash is averaging 17.7 points and 12 rebounds in her last three contests.
- YSU went 5-of-11 from 3-point range in the fourth period but was 5-of-27 in the first three periods. The Penguins attempted 38 3s in the game, which was the most since Feb. 11, 2012.
- The Penguins made their first nine free throws and finished 14-for-18. They went just 2-for-5 in the fourth period.
- Jenna Hirsch had three assists and reached 200 for her career.