Mar 11, 2016
|Youngstown State vs. Wright State|
|Date & Time||Friday, March 11, 2016 at 8:30 p.m. ET|
|Location||Kress Center - Green Bay, Wis.
|Radio||iHeartRadio | 570 WKBN
|Video||ESPN3 | WatchESPN|
|Live Tweets||@YSUsports | @YSUWomensHoops | @javogel34|
|Hash Tags||#GoGuins | #HLWBB|
|Text Alerts||Sign Up|
|Mobile App||YSU Front Row|
- Coming off a thrilling win over Oakland, Youngstown State will try to advance to the semifinals in the Horizon League Tournament as it plays Wright State on Friday at 8:30 p.m. Eastern. The game at Green Bay's Kress Events Center will be broadcast on 570 WKBN, iHeartRadio, ESPN3 and the WatchESPN App.
- The No. 6 seeded Penguins beat No. 7 Oakland 65-63 on Thursday as Janae Jackson hit the game-winning bucket following an offensive rebound with 2.2 seconds left. Jackson, YSU's lone senior, had career highs of 24 points and 15 rebounds. Wright State is the third seed and beat No. 10 UIC 71-55 earlier on Thursday.
- YSU has now won a Horizon League Tournament game in four straight seasons, and a win over the Raiders will give the Penguins their fourth straight semifinals berth. YSU won one tournament game total in its first 11 seasons in the conference.
- Youngstown State and Wright State played just five days ago in Dayton, which resulted in a 77-66 Raiders victory. YSU won the first meeting this season 72-69 on Jan. 28.
- Including the split against Wright State, the Penguins went 7-1 during the regular season against teams on their side of the bracket.
- Youngstown State has started four underclassmen in 25 games, and nine of the 12 players on the roster are freshmen or sophomores. YSU's top three scorers – Sarah Cash, Nikki Arbanas and Indiya Benjamin – are sophomores.
- YSU is averaging 8.9 3-pointers per game overall, which ranks 11th in the country. It averaged 9.9 in Horizon League play.
- Sarah Cash ranks among the top five players in the nation with a .615 shooting percentage. A Second-Team All-Horizon League honoree, she ranks in the top 10 in the Horizon League in scoring, rebounding and blocks.
- Nikki Arbanas has made 77 3-pointers this season, which is the fourth-most in program history and 23 more than any other sophomore has made. She led the league with 53 3-pointers in conference play.
- Indiya Benjamin leads the Horizon League with 5.0 assists per game, and her .415 3-point fiel-goal percentage ranks second.
- Jackson's 15 rebounds were the most ever by a Penguin in the Horizon League Tournament. She also tied a program high in the tournament with 11 field goals, and her 24 points were the second-most behind Brandi Brown's 31 in 2012-13.
Previewing Wright State
A Win Would...
- Give the Penguins the 11th 20-win season in program history, including three times in the last four seasons.
- Allow YSU to reach the semifinals of the Horizon League Tournament for the fourth straight year.
- Give YSU two wins in the Horizon League Tournament for the first time.
On This Date
- Youngstown State is 1-0 all time on March 11, and the victory came over Detroit in the 2015 Horizon League Tournament. Nikki Arbanas made five 3-pointers and tied Heidi Schlegel with 22 points as YSU beat Detroit 73-55.
Scouting Wright State
- Wright State has a 23-9 record and is the No. 3 seed in the Horizon League Tournament. The Raiders beat UIC 71-55 on Thursday to advance to the quarterfinals.
- Wright State leads the Horizon League with 76.9 points per game and 4.0 blocks per contest, and it is second in field-goal percentage defense and rebounding margin.
- Horizon League Player of the Year Kim Demmings averages a league-best 20.4 points, and the league's all-time leading scorer had 30 points against the Flames on Thursday.
Series with Wright State
- YSU is 25-29 all-time against Wright State, and the Penguins have won three of the last four years at Beeghly Center. The teams have played in every season since 1987-88, and the Penguins won 18 of the first 22 meetings.
- The Penguins and Raiders have met in the Horizon League Tournament five times previously, and the Raiders have won each time. Wright State eliminated YSU at the Kress Center with a 98-70 win in 2014 the last time the teams played in the tournament.
- This Season at YSU: YSU led for 32 minutes and made four big 3s in the fourth quarter to beat Wright State 72-69 on Jan. 28 in Youngstown. A Nikki Arbanas 3 broke a 65-65 tie with less than four minutes left, and Kelley Wright drew a big charge on Kim Demmings with 8.5 seconds left with the Raiders down one.
- This Season at WSU: Wright State led for more than 38 minutes, and, despite a career-high 22 points from Indiya Benjamin, YSU lost 77-66 to Wright State this past Sunday. The Raiders had a 44-22 scoring edge in the paint, and Wright State turned 12 offensive rebounds into 18 second-chance points.