Jan 24, 2017
|Youngstown State vs. No. 24/25 Green Bay|
|Date & Time||Thursday, Jan. 26 | 7 p.m.|
|Location||Beeghly Center | Youngstown, Ohio|
|Tickets||YSU Athletic Ticket Office | (330) 941-1YSU
|Radio||570 WKBN | iHeart.com|
|Video||ESPN3 | WatchESPN|
|Live Tweets||@YSUWomensHoops | @YSUSports
|Hash Tags||#GoGuins | #HLWBB
|Text Alerts||Sign Up|
|Mobile App||YSU Front Row|
- Youngstown State concludes the first half of its Horizon League schedule on Thursday as it hosts No. 24/25 Green Bay at Beeghly Center. Tipoff is set for 7 p.m., and the game will be broadcast live on 570 WKBN, iHeart.com, ESPN3 and the WatchESPN app.
- YSU has won four straight games at Beeghly Center, including all three of its home Horizon League contests. The Penguins are 3-0 at home in the league and 0-5 on the road.
- The Penguins lost both of their games in the Detroit area last week, falling 80-63 at Detroit on Friday and 80-54 at Oakland on Sunday. Alison Smolinski made nine 3-pointers in the two games while averaging 16.5 points. Including the Cleveland State game last Monday, Smolinski has made 17 3s in the last three contests.
- Forward Mary Dunn leads all Horizon League freshmen with 12.5 points per game, a .510 field-goal percentage and 17 blocks. She was named the conference freshman of the week three times during the non-conference portion of the schedule.
- With three of its top five scorers coming into the season out for the year with injuries, YSU is averaging 69.6 points per game. That is the program's second-highest scoring average since 1999-00. YSU is averaging 72.4 points since the third game of the season.
- Youngstown State has made at least nine 3-pointers in nine of the last 10 games after having a high of eight in the first eight contests of the season.
- A freshman or sophomore has led the Penguins in scoring in 10 of the last 11 games.
Tickets & Promotions
- Advance tickets for Thursday's game are available at the YSU Athletic Ticket Office in Stambaugh Stadium. Tickets can be ordered over the phone by calling (330) 941-1YSU.
- The ticket office is open 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. The Beeghly Center Ticket Office will open at 6 p.m. on Thursday.
- Fans in attendance will receive a YSU Basketball Key Chain, courtesy of Greenwood Chevrolet and 21 WFMJ.
A Win Would...
- Be YSU's first victory over a ranked opponent since it defeated No. 23 Green Bay on Feb. 19, 2005.
- Improve YSU's Horizon League record to 4-5.
- Be YSU's fifth straight at Beeghly Center.
- Snap a five-game losing streak to Green Bay.
On This Date
- Youngstown State is 5-6 in 11 previous games played on Jan. 26. The Penguins have won their last two contests played on the date, an 80-67 win over Detroit Mercy in 2012 and a 75-38 victory over Loyola Chicago in 2013. The 38 points tied for the fewest allowed by the Penguins in a Horizon League game.
- Individually, Kenya Middlebrooks became the first Penguin to ever make eight 3-pointers in a game when she did it against the Titans in 2012. She is now one of three, joining current YSU players Kelsea Newman and Alison Smolinski. Wanda Grant scored 38 points at Bowling Green in 1980.
Scouting Green Bay
- Green Bay is 17-2 overall and 8-0 in Horizon League play, and the Phoenix is ranked in both the AP and USA Today Coaches top 25 polls. Green Bay's two losses are a four-point decision at then-No. 1 Notre Dame and a one-point loss to Wisconsin.
- Green Bay ranks second in the country in scoring defense at 48.2 points per game, and it leads the Horizon League in field-goal percentage, 3-point field-goal percentage, rebounding margin and assists.
- Individually, Mehryn Kraker is tied-for-second in the conference in scoring average at 18.1 points per game, and Jessica Lindstrom is second in rebounding with 10.1 per contest.
Series with Green Bay
- Green Bay holds a 34-3 lead in the all-time series with Youngstown State, and the Phoenix has won five straight meetings.
- YSU's lone home win in the series was 66-57 on Jan. 16, 2014, in Coach John Barnes' first season as a Penguin. YSU also won 72-63 at Green Bay that season.
Last Season vs. Green Bay
- In Youngstown, Green Bay outscored YSU 33-10 over a 13-minute stretch between the second and third periods to win 68-60. YSU led by nine twice in the second period before the game flipped.
- At Green Bay, YSU led 14-9 in the first period before the Phoenix scored 20 straight points to grab control in a 69-35 victory. Green Bay was plus-27 in rebounding margin and scored 22 second-chance points.
- Oakland scored 15 consecutive points in the first period and went on to defeat Youngstown State 80-54 on Sunday afternoon at the Athletics Center O'rena.
- After Indiya Benjamin scored on YSU's first possession of the game, Oakland scored the next 15 points. Youngstown State got no closer than seven the rest of the way.
- Alison Smolinski scored all 13 of her points in the first half, and she made three more 3-pointers. Going back to the start of the Cleveland State game at the start of the week, she made 17 3-pointers in a two-and-a-half game stretch.
- Mary Dunn scored 10 of her 12 points in the second half. She had been held to single digits in each of the previous two games after scoring 10-plus in nine straight games.
- Jenna Hirsch became the 15th player in school history to record 300 career assists. She is averaging a career-best 3.9 assists this season and ranks third in the Horizon League in assist-to-turnover ratio.
- Oakland's Hannah Little had 19 points, 19 rebounds, four assists and four steals. She had seven points during that 15-0 run that gave the Golden Grizzlies their insurmountable lead.
- Taylor Gleason had six steals, and Oakland finished with 16 steals as a team. That was the most by a YSU opponent this season. The Penguins matched their season high with 11 steals.
- YSU was held to five 3-pointers, which was its fewest since making five against Saint Francis U on Dec. 3. The Penguins had made at least nine in eight consecutive games.