Jan 21, 2017
|Youngstown State at Oakland|
|Date & Time||Sunday, Jan. 22 | 3 p.m.|
|Location||Athletics Center O'rena | Rochester, Mich.|
|Radio||1390 WNIO | iHeart.com|
|Video||ESPN3 | WatchESPN|
|Live Tweets||@YSUWomensHoops | @YSUSports
|Hash Tags||#GoGuins | #HLWBB
|Text Alerts||Sign Up|
|Mobile App||YSU Front Row|
- Youngstown State will try to bounce back and split its trip to Michigan as it plays at Oakland on Sunday. Tipoff at the Athletics Center O'rena is set for 3 p.m., and live coverage will be on 1390 WNIO, iHeart.com, ESPN3 and the WatchESPN app.
- YSU had its three-game winning streak snapped at Detroit Mercy on Friday in an 80-63 loss. The Penguins found themselves down 16 in the second period and fought all the way back to get within 56-54 in the fourth. The Titans outscored YSU 24-9 the rest of the way.
- Alison Smolinski led the Penguins with 20 points and made six more 3-pointers. The sophomore is 14-for-22 from beyond the arc in the last two games and has made 21 in five league games. She played only six minutes in one of those games because of injury.
- Of YSU's three league losses, one was by three at Cleveland State and another was in overtime at Northern Kentucky.
- With three of its top five scorers coming into the season out for the year with injuries, YSU is averaging 70.5 points per game. That is the program's highest scoring average since 1999-00. YSU is averaging 73.7 points since the third game of the season.
- Youngstown State has made at least nine 3-pointers in nine of the last 10 games after having a high of eight in the first eight contests of the season.
- A freshman or sophomore has led the Penguins in scoring in nine of the last 10 games.
A Win Would...
- Even YSU's Horizon League record to 4-4.
- Be YSU's first road victory over the season.
- Be YSU's second straight win at the O'rena.
- Give YSU a five-game winning streak over Oakland.
On This Date
- Youngstown State is 7-5 in 12 previous games played on Jan. 22. The Penguins snapped a three-game losing skid on the date in 2015 with a 75-70 win over Wright State.
- Sarah Cash blocked five shots, which is tied for the ninth-most in a game in program history, in that win over the Raiders.
- Oakland has a 9-9 overall record and is tied in the Horizon League standings with YSU with a 3-4 conference record.
- The Golden Grizzlies lead the league in scoring offense at 76.9 points per game, and they are fifth in scoring defense. Oakland is also tops in the rankings in steals and turnover margin.
- Individually, Hannah Little, a graduate transfer from St. Bonaventure, averages a double-double with 10.8 points and a league-leading 11.6 rebounds per game. She also leads the conference with 3.4 steals per contest. Taylor Jones averages a team-high 15.4 points.
Series with Oakland
- YSU is 9-8 all time against Oakland in a series that dates back to the 1998-99 season when both teams were in the Mid-Continent Conference.
- YSU is 6-2 in the series since Oakland joined the Horizon League with a wins in the Horizon League Tournament in 2014 and 2016. The Penguins have won four straight in the series.
Last Season vs. Oakland
- At Oakland, YSU tied a school record with 16 3-pointers, and Kelsea Newman made eight herself in a 96-77 win on Nov. 28, 2015. The Penguins led by at least a dozen for the final 11:53 of the game.
- At YSU, Sarah Cash scored 18 second-half points, and Nikki Arbanas made six 3s to help YSU rally for a 67-63 victory over Oakland on Feb. 4, 2016. Oakland led 44-30 at one point, and YSU closed the game by outscoring Oakland 37-19 over the final 12:30.
- In the Horizon League Tournament, Janae Jackson hit the game-winning basket with 2.2 seconds in a 65-63 win. Jackson had 22 points and 10 rebounds in the second half alone.
Recapping Detroit Mercy
- Detroit Mercy outscored Youngstown State by 10 in the first eight minutes and by 13 in the final eight minutes to defeat the Penguins 80-63 on Friday at Calihan Hall.
- YSU had to battle uphill the entire night, falling behind by as many as 16 in the second period. The Penguins fought back and got within two early in the fourth period before Detroit pulled away.
- Detroit scored the first six points of the game, and the closest Youngstown State would get would be 13-12 with 4:18 left in the first. The Titans made four straight 3s to go up by 10, and they extended their lead to 38-22 as they scored 10 of the first 13 points of the second period.
- Youngstown State got within three twice in the third, and the score was 56-54 after an Alison Smolinski 3. Titans scored the next eight points and ended up outscoring the Penguins 24-9 the rest of the way.
- Youngstown State shot just 33.8 percent and went 9-for-30 for 3-point range. Detroit shot 47.1 percent and made 10 3-pointers in 25 attempts.
- Smolinski had eight 3-pointers vs. Cleveland State on Monday and is 14-for-22 from beyond the arc in the last two games. She led YSU with 20 points.
- Melinda Trimmer stepped up to her career high with eight points and set a new career high with four rebounds in 15 minutes. She had not scored and played in 18 minutes in eight games since Nov. 28.
- Morgan Olson scored a season-high six points and was 3-for-5 from the field.
- YSU attempted a season-low seven free throws, and the Penguins were whistled for a season-low nine fouls.