Posted: Jan 10, 2018
|Youngstown State at Green Bay|
|Date & Time||Thursday, Jan. 11 @ 8 p.m. ET|
|Location||Kress Center | Green Bay, Wis.|
|Radio||570 WKBN | iHeartRadio|
|Video||ESPN3 | WatchESPN|
|Live Tweets||@YSUWomensHoops | @YSUsports|
|Hash Tags||#GoGuins | #HLWBB|
|Mobile App||YSU Front Row|
- Youngstown State begins its toughest road swing of the season on Thursday as it travels to nationally-ranked Green Bay. Tipoff against the Phoenix is set for 8 p.m. Eastern at the Kress Center, and the game will be broadcast live on 570 WKBN, iHeartRadio, ESPN3 and WatchESPN.
- YSU will play three road games in a five-day stretch against three teams that were picked to finish in the top four of the Horizon League Preseason Poll. The Penguins will play at preseason favorite Green Bay on Thursday, No. 4 Milwaukee on Saturday and No. 2 Wright State on Monday.
- Thursday's contest will be YSU's first away from Beeghly Center since Dec. 9, a stretch of 33 days. The Penguins played their last six games at home and will be on the road for eight out of their next 10 contests.
- YSU went 4-2 in its six-game homestand, including 2-2 in league play. The Penguins beat Detroit Mercy and UIC while losing to Oakland and IUPUI. YSU shot at least 48 percent in the two league victories and below 37 percent in its two losses, including a season-worst 28.8 percent in Saturday's loss to IUPUI.
- Senior point guard Indiya Benjamin is one of two active players in the country with career totals of at least 1,000 points, 500 assists and 150 3-pointers.
- Five of YSU's five wins this season have been by at least 13 points, and the other is a two-point win over Northern Arizona.
- Even though it has made just 15 3-pointers combined in the last three games, YSU continues to lead the Horizon League with 8.6 3-pointers per game.
Previewing Green Bay
A Win Would...
- Improve YSU's record to 7-9 overall and 3-2 in Horizon League play.
- Snap a seven-game losing streak to Green Bay dating back to Feb. 23, 2014.
- Be the first over a ranked opponent since a 60-56 victory over the Phoenix on Feb. 19, 2005.
On This Date
- YSU is 4-5 all time on Jan. 11. The Penguins' last contest on the date resulted in a 69-58 win at UIC in 2014. That was the second victory in a 6-0 start to league play for the Penguins in 2013-14.
Scouting Green Bay
- Green Bay is a nationally-ranked, defensive power that allows the fewest points per game in the country (47.1) and ranks second in the nation in field-goal percentage defense (.319). Green Bay is 24th in this week's Coaches Poll and 25th in the AP poll, and it is 10th in the RPI.
- The Phoenix are 12-2 overall with a 67-46 loss to No. 5 Mississippi State and a 62-54 loss at Northern Kentucky. Green Bay has a pair of top-25 wins over Arizona State and Marquette as well as victories over two Big Ten teams to its credit. The Phoenix were 4-for-26 from 3-point range in the loss to NKU and rank last in the league with 4.8 3-pointers per game.
- Jessica Lindstrom averages 14.2 points and a HL-best 9.7 rebounds, and Allie LeClaire averages 14 points.
- Youngstown State went just 5-for-30 from the field in the second half to allow IUPUI to pull away for a 65-43 win at Beeghly Center on Saturday evening.
- The Penguins shot a season-worst 28.8 percent for the game, going 5-for-22 from 3-point range and 12-for-37 inside the arc. Youngstown State committed just nine turnovers but couldn't get shots to fall.
- YSU shot 41 percent in the first half but trailed 37-28 at the break as IUPUI made seven 3-pointers in the first 20 minutes. YSU was then 3-for-11 from the field in the third period and 2-for-19 in the fourth. IUPUI led 52-39 after three quarters and outscored the Penguins 13-4 in the fourth.
- YSU didn't score for the first 4:58 of the second period or the first 6:44 of the fourth.
- YSU held IUPUI leading scorers Danielle Lawrence and Macee Williams to a combined 13 points, 15 below their combined average. Sydney Hall, though, scored a career-high 24 points, going 9-for-11 overall from the field and 6-for-7 from 3-point range.
- Hall hit 3-pointers on back-to-back possessions in the opening minutes as IUPUI scored the game's first eight points of the game, and YSU got no closer than two the rest of the game.
- The Penguins trailed 20-16 at the end of the first period and just 29-26 after a Sarah Cash basket with 1:59 left in the first half. IUPUI hit two 3-pointers during an 8-2 burst to go up nine at halftime.
- Cash led the Penguins with 11 points, nine of which came in the first half. Mary Dunn had seven, and Chelsea Olson scored six. Olson had two of YSU's five 3-pointers.
- YSU had six blocks, which was its second-most of the season behind seven against Bucknell. Olson and Dunn both had two blocks.
- IUPUI outrebounded the Penguins 44-26 for the game and 25-13 in the second half.
- YSU held its opponent below 68 points for the 11th time in 15 games. The Penguins allowed at least 68 points 25 times last season.
- YSU continues its three-game, six-day road trip at Milwaukee on Saturday at 3 p.m. Eastern. The game will be broadcast live on 570 WKBN and ESPN3.