Posted: Nov 16, 2017
|Youngstown State at Loyola Chicago|
|Date & Time||Saturday, Nov. 18 @ 2 p.m. Eastern|
|Location||Gentile Arena | Chicago, Ill.|
|Radio||sportsradio1390.com | iHeartRadio|
|Video||The Valley on ESPN3| WatchESPN|
|Live Tweets||@YSUWomensHoops | @YSUSports|
|Hash Tags||#GoGuins | #HLWBB|
|Mobile App||YSU Front Row|
- Youngstown State will travel to the Windy City to face old Horizon League foe Loyola Chicago on Saturday at 2 p.m. ET. The game from Gentile Arena will be broadcast live on ESPN3, WatchESPN, sportsradio1390.com and the iHeartRadio app.
- The Penguins and Ramblers will each be looking for their first win of the season on Saturday. The Penguins are coming off a 55-44 loss to Kent State on Tuesday, and YSU dropped its season opener 66-58 at Pitt last Friday.
- YSU has played solid defensively and gotten out to big first quarter leads in both matchups, but turnovers and missed shots have doomed the Penguins. After two games, YSU is plus-18 in scoring in the first period and minus-37 in the final three.
- The Penguins are hungry to get back to their winning ways after enduring an injury-plagued 2016-17 season that ended with a 9-21 record and a first-round loss in the Horizon League Tournament. In each of the previous two seasons, YSU won 21 games and advanced to play in a postseason tournament.
- Indiya Benjamin scored the 1,000th point of her career in the final minute of Tuesday's game against Kent State. She is one of two Penguins ever to have 1,000 career points, 450 career assists and 150 career 3-pointers.
- YSU returns three players – Benjamin, Mary Dunn and Alison Smolinski – who averaged more than 11 points last season, and it also welcomes back two players – Nikki Arbanas and Sarah Cash – who averaged more than 11 points in 2015-16. This is the first time in program history that the Penguins enter a season with five players who have averaged double figures previously.
Scouting Loyola Chicago
- Loyola Chicago has lost its first two games of the season — 79-70 to Fort Wayne and 65-47 to Western Michigan. The Ramblers were 2-28 last season, but their top three scorers this season are all freshmen.
- Freshman guard Kailyn Strawbridge averages 19 points and scored 32 points in her first career game against Fort Wayne. Ellie Rice, another freshman guard, averages 15.5 points.
- The Ramblers and Penguins were both members of the Horizon League from 2001-02 through 2012-13. YSU head coach John Barnes was an assistant at Green Bay in Loyola's final season in the conference, and Andy Crane was an assistant at Cleveland State.
- YSU is winless in 14 previous games at Gentile Arena. Its last three losses there are by a combined 15 points.
A Win Would...
- Give YSU its first win of the season.
- Be YSU's first in 15 tries at Gentile Arena.
- End an eight-game losing streak in non-conference road contests dating back to 2015-16.
On This Date
- YSU is 2-5 all time in seven previous games played on Nov. 18.
- The Penguins lost 72-50 at Hawaii last season on Nov. 14. YSU won its previous two contests on the date – a 68-49 win at Kent State in 2014 and a 75-59 home win over Bryant in 2012.
Recapping Kent State
- For the second straight game, Youngstown State jumped out to a sizeable first-period lead but couldn't hold it in 55-44 loss to Kent State on Tuesday.
- YSU led Kent State 11-2 at the end of the opening quarter and built a 14-4 advantage two minutes into the second period. YSU later led 25-18 just over a minute into the third quarter before Kent State went on a 20-4 run.
- YSU led Pitt 19-10 at the end of the first quarter in the season opener but was outscored 18-6 in the second. The Penguins have outscored opponents 30-12 in the first period (+18), but they've been outscored 34-15 in the second (-19).
- Youngstown State was 5-for-25 from 3-point range in the game and is 11-for-53 from long range after two games. YSU averaged 8.5 3-pointers and shot 33.3 percent from beyond the arc in 2016-17.
- YSU held Kent State, a team that averaged 71 points last season, to 55 points. The Penguins are allowing 60.5 points per game through two contests, which is big improvement from when they surrendered 74.3 points per game last year.
- It was just the third time in Barnes' tenure that the Penguins held an opponent below 60 points and lost. YSU was 27-2 in such occurrences heading into the game
- Indiya Benjamin scored her 1,000th point on a basket with 12.5 seconds left in the game. She became the 19th player in program history to reach the milestone. Sarah Cash and she have both scored in double figures in each of the first two games.
- Nikki Arbanas had made a 3-pointer in 19 consecutive games before going 0-for-5 against Kent State. She was 2-for-4 from beyond the arc against Pitt.
- Cash has scored 22 points in 36 minutes this season. She had 12 points in 12 minutes at Pitt and 10 points in 24 minutes vs. Kent State.
- Freshman Anne Secrest has led YSU in rebounding in each of her first two games.
- After not playing in the season opener, Morgan Brunner scored five points in 10 minutes. She had a 3 waved off because of a Kent State foul before her shot.