Five games at Beeghly Center and three more contests within 70 miles of campus will be part of the Youngstown State women's basketball program's 11-game, non-conference schedule in 2017-18 that was announced on Friday.
The Penguins will begin their fifth season under head coach John Barnes on Nov. 10 at Pittsburgh, and YSU's home opener will be four days later against Kent State on Rosselli Court.
The contest against the Golden Flashes begins a stretch of YSU playing three of its next four games at home. The Penguins will welcome Ohio Valley to Beeghly Center on Nov. 20, and they'll host Bucknell on Nov. 24. YSU will then play four straight road bouts before returning home to finish out the non-conference slate against Northern Arizona on Dec. 16 and Penn State-Beaver on Dec. 20.
In addition to the game at Pittsburgh to open the season, Youngstown State will play other nearby games on Nov. 29 at Robert Morris and Dec. 5 at Akron. The Penguins will make a return trip to Gentile Arena to play former Horizon League opponent Loyola Chicago on Nov. 18, and YSU's other road contests will be at American on Dec. 2 and at Saint Francis U on Dec. 9.
- Youngstown State's last trip to Loyola Chicago came in 2012-13, which was the season before Barnes became a Penguin.
- YSU will play in the nation's capital for the first time since 2010 when it plays at American on Dec. 2.
- YSU has played at Saint Francis U just twice in its history, in 2007 and 2009, despite the Loretto, Pa., campus being just 130 miles away.
- Northern Arizona will be the first opponent from the Big Sky Conference to play at Beeghly Center. The game is a return from YSU's trip to NAU in 2016-17.
- YSU will play PSU-Beaver for the first time in program history.