Jan 04, 2019
|Youngstown State vs. IUPUI|
|Date & Time||Saturday, Jan. 5 | 1 p.m.|
|Location||Beeghly Center | Youngstown, Ohio|
|Tickets||(330) 941-1YSU | YSUsports.com|
|Radio||570 WKBN | iHeartRadio|
|Video||ESPN3 | WatchESPN|
|Live Tweets||@YSUWomensHoops | @YSUSports|
|Hash Tags||#GoGuins | #HLWBB|
|Mobile App||YSU Front Row|
- YSU concludes the second weekend of Horizon League play by hosting IUPUI in a key contest at Beeghly Center. Tipoff against the Jaguars is set for 1 p.m., and the game will be broadcast live on 570 WKBN, iHeartRadio, ESPN3 and WatchESPN.
- Youngstown State enters the game as winners of four straight decisions, including an 81-29 victory over UIC on Thursday. The Penguins have won seven of their last eight contests to improve to 11-3 overall and 3-0 in Horizon League play.
- The contest versus IUPUI begins a challenging stretch for the Penguins. YSU's first three conference games were against teams picked in the bottom four of the league's preseason poll. The next four games are against the other four teams in addition to Youngstown State that were picked in the top five.
- YSU had its largest margin of victory ever in a Horizon League game with the 52-point win over the Flames. It was the first time an opponent scored below 30 points since Malone had 25 in a game in 1990.
- Alison Smolinski became the third player in YSU history to eclipse 200 career 3-pointers in Thursday's win. She enters Saturday's contest with 204, which is five behind Nikki Arbanas' record of 209 that was set last year. Smolinski ranks third in the country with 51 3-pointers this season.
- The Penguins finished 2018 with 21 victories, which was the eighth most in a calendar year in program history. YSU is 21-7 since Jan. 20, 2018.
- Chelsea Olson is the reigning Horizon League Player of the Week. The sophomore guard averaged 16.5 points, 10.5 rebounds, five assists and three steals while shooting 61.5 percent from the field in YSU's two wins last week.
- Melinda Trimmer ranks second in the country with a 4.40 assist-to-turnover ratio. She had 38 assists and seven turnovers in December. Trimmer and Olson rank first and second in the conference in assists per game.
- John Barnes is one win from reaching 250 victories in his coaching career.
- YSU leads the Horizon League in winning percentage, scoring margin, scoring defense, free-throw percentage, field-goal percentage defense, rebounding margin, assists, assist-to-turnover ratio and 3-pointers per game.
- YSU has played in the postseason four times in the last six seasons with WNIT berths in 2013 and 2015 and WBI bids in 2016 and 2018.
- YSU has made at least 200 3-pointers in eight straight seasons, and it has led the Horizon League in 3-pointers per game in four straight campaigns.
Tickets, Promotions and Fan Information
- Parking Information
- Visitors Guide
- Advance tickets for Saturday's game are available at the YSU Athletic Ticket Office in Stambaugh Stadium. Tickets can be ordered in person or over the phone by calling (330) 941-1YSU. The ticket office is open 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. The Beeghly Center Ticket Office will open at noon on Saturday.
- Saturday will be a Veterans Appreciation game, and all military personnel may bring a valid military ID to the ticket office to receive complimentary game tickets.
- Fans in attendance will receive a deck of YSU Playing Cards, courtesy of Mercy Health, Allstate/Nolfi Agency and 21 WFMJ.
A Win Would...
- Improve YSU's record to 12-3 overall and 4-0 in Horizon League play this season.
- Allow YSU to start 4-0 in league play for the second time in Coach John Barnes' six seasons.
- Give the Penguins eight wins in their last nine games.
- Be the 605th in school history and the 94th under Head Coach John Barnes.
- Be the 250th in Head Coach John Barnes' career.
Scouting The Jaguars
- IUPUI is 8-6 overall and 2-1 in conference play. The Jaguars have three overtime losses, including at Wisconsin to Wright State in the league opener. IUPUI was picked to finish second in the HL Preseason Poll.
- Preseason HL Player of the Year Macee Williams averages a league-best 19.4 points per game. Holly Hoopingarner averages 11.9 points and a team-best 2.9 assists.
- Overall: Youngstown State leads 7-5
- Barnes: 1-2 // Home: 2-3 // Away: 4-1 // Neutral: 1-1
- Current Win Streak: 1 by Youngstown State
On This Day
- YSU is 9-3 all time in games played on Jan. 5. The Penguins won their first eight contests on the date, and they snapped a three-game skid in 2018 with a 76-63 win over UIC.
- YSU set a school record with 75 rebounds in 1991, against Duquesne, and the Penguins had numerous offensive highlights in a 106-48 win over Chicago State in 1998.
- Youngstown State led by 39 at halftime and had its largest margin of victory ever in a Horizon League contest in an 81-29 victory over UIC on Thursday.
- Alison Smolinski made her 200th career 3 at the 8:28 mark of the first period, and she went on to make five in the game and finish with 20 points in 21 minutes.
- Mary Dunn set new career highs with 26 points and 13 rebounds, and she was 12-for-14 from the field while playing 23 minutes. Deleah Gibson also set a new career high with 12 points off the bench.
- Dunn, Sarah Cash and fellow post Amara Chikwe combined to go 17-for-20 from the field. Each player was 1-for-1 from 3-point range.
- McKenah Peters and Chikwe were the only Penguins to play more than 23 minutes in the game. Cash played just eight minutes and scored 10 points.
- UIC's 29 points were the third-fewest allowed in a game in program history. It was the lowest point total by an opponent since Malone scored a record low 25 on Dec. 29, 1990. UIC had 11 points at halftime, which was the second-lowest total in a half by an opponent. The 52-point margin of victory was the seventh largest in program history.
- The Flames shot 19.3 percent from the field, and they were below 20 percent in each quarter except the third.
- Youngstown State shot 56.3 percent over the first three quarters and finished the game at 49.2 percent. The Penguins were 11-for-32 from 3-point range, and six different players made a 3.
- Chelsea Olson and Melinda Trimmer combined for 11 assists and zero turnovers.
- YSU held UIC leading scorer Brittany Byrd scoreless in 33 minutes.
- YSU will make its annual Wisconsin trip next week to play at Milwaukee and Green Bay. The Penguins will play the Panthers on Thursday at noon Eastern in a kids day game, and they'll take on the Horizon League preseason