Dec 19, 2018
|Youngstown State vs. Thiel|
|Date & Time||Thursday, Dec. 20 | 11 a.m.|
|Location||Beeghly Center | Youngstown, Ohio|
|Tickets||(330) 941-1YSU | YSUsports.com|
|Radio||1390 WNIO | iHeartRadio|
|Video||ESPN+ | WatchESPN|
|Live Tweets||@YSUWomensHoops | @YSUSports|
|Hash Tags||#GoGuins | #HLWBB|
|Mobile App||YSU Front Row|
- Youngstown State aims to finish its non-conference schedule with an 8-3 record as it hosts Thiel on Thursday morning in the Sixth Annual Chick-fil-A School Field Trip Game. Tipoff in Beeghly Center against the Tomcats is set for 11 a.m., and the contest will be broadcast live on 1390 WNIO and ESPN+. Nearly 1,300 area students are expected to be in attendance.
- The Penguins have won 20 consecutive games against non-Division I opponents dating back to 1990. Five of those wins have come in previous field trip games.
- YSU is looking to enter Horizon League play with at least eight wins for the third time in the last five seasons.
- The Penguins had a three-game winning streak snapped at Bucknell on Tuesday. They fell behind 13-2 and trailed by 19 late in the third quarter before a furious rally brought them to within four with six minutes left. The Bison held on to win 73-68.
- Dating back to Jan. 20, 2018, Youngstown State has gone 17-7 over its last 24 contest. Before Jan. 20, the Penguins were 7-17 over their previous 24 games.
- Melinda Trimmer ranks fourth in the country with a 4.2 assist-to-turnover ratio. She has 15 assists and just one turnover in her last two contests.
- Alison Smolinski made 15 3-pointers over the first two games of December with a school-record nine at Canisius on Dec. 1 and six versus Saint Francis U on Dec. 8. Smolinski ranks sixth in the country with 370 3-pointers per game.
- YSU leads the Horizon League in winning percentage, scoring margin, field-goal percentage defense, free-throw percentage, rebounding margin, assists, assist-to-turnover ratio and 3-pointers per game.
- YSU has played in the postseason four times in the last six seasons with WNIT berths in 2013 and 2015 and WBI bids in 2016 and 2018.
- YSU has made at least 200 3-pointers in eight straight seasons, and it has led the Horizon League in 3-pointers per game in four straight campaigns.
Tickets, Promotions and Fan Information
- Parking Information
- Visitors Guide
- Advance tickets for Thursday's game are available at the YSU Athletic Ticket Office in Stambaugh Stadium. Tickets can be ordered in person or over the phone by calling (330) 941-1YSU.
- The ticket office is open 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. The Beeghly Center Ticket Office will open at 10 a.m. on Thursday.
- Thursday will be the Sixth Annual Chick-fil-A School Field Trip Game. Chick-fil-A of Boardman is a proud Penguin Partner. Approximately 1,300 area students will be in attendance at the game.
- Fans can enjoy $1 popcorn at all Thursday home games this season, courtesy of AVI Concessions.
- This will be the second Rulli Brothers "Holiday Hoops" women's basketball game of the season. Rulli Brothers, an official Penguin Partner, is proud to present a "Buy One, Get One Free" general admission ticket offer to any YSU men's or women's basketball home game in December.
A Win Would...
- Improve YSU's record to 8-3 this season.
- Give YSU at least eight non-conference wins for the third time in the last five seasons.
- Be YSU's 21st straight victory over non-Division I opponents dating back to 1990.
- Be the 601st in school history and the 90th under Head Coach John Barnes.
- Thiel is 2-7 following a 69-42 loss to No. 21 UW-Oshkosh on Monday at the HoopMIA D3 Holiday Shootout in Miami Shores, Fla. The Tomcats play Case Western Reserve on Wednesday afternoon before coming to Youngstown Thursday morning.
- Jess Vormelker averages 22.3 points per game and has made 27 3-pointers through Thiel's first nine games. Destiny Johnson averages a double-double with 12.5 points and 11.3 rebounds.
- While Youngstown State plays its home games in Beeghly Center, Thiel's home facility is Beeghly Gymnasium. Both are named in honor of Mr. and Mrs. Leon A. Beeghly, founders of the Standard Slag Company in Youngstown. YSU's Beeghly College of Education is housed in Beeghly Hall as well.
- This is the first meeting between YSU and Thiel, which are located just over 30 miles from each other.
- YSU is 8-0 all-time against teams that are currently in the Presidents' Athletic Conference with Thiel. The Penguins are 4-0 versus Geneva, 3-0 against Westminster and 1-0 versus Grove City. YSU beat PAC member Washington & Jefferson 93-48 in its exhibition game on Halloween.
On This Day
- YSU is 6-7 all-time on Dec. 20, and it has won three of its last five on the date since 2008. YSU beat Penn State-Beaver 97-40 on Dec. 20, 2017.
- Wanda Grant scored 34 points in a 79-63 win at Marshall on Dec. 20, 1980.
- Youngstown State begins Horizon League play on Friday, Dec. 28, at Detroit Mercy. The Penguins will also play at Oakland on Dec. 30 to wrap up 2018.