The Youngstown State swimming and diving team posted 12 top-eight individual finishes at the Horizon League Championships and set a pair of school records during the 2016-17 campaign.
Setting school records in 2016-17 were Viktoria Orosz and Lydia Scheringer. Impressively, six different Penguins, three swimmers and three divers, had a top-seven finish at the Horizon League Championships.
- YSU defeated St. Bonaventure, Niagara, Saint Francis (Pa.) in dual meets.
- Orosz placed third in the 200-yard freestyle, fifth in the 200-yard backstroke and seventh in the 500-yard freestyle at the Horizon League Championships.
- Aranda placed sixth in the 200-yard butterfly and was seventh in the 1,650-yard freestyle.
- Three divers combined for five top-five finishes at the HL meet. In the one-meter, Bec Stafford was second, McKenzie Stelter was fourth and Bethany Glick was fifth. In the three-meter, McKenzie Stelter was fourth and Bethany Glick was fifth.
- Freshman Tiphanie Saint-Gilles was seventh in the 200-yard breaststroke clocking a time of 2:20.45.
- YSU had 12 top eight finishes at the Horizon League Championships.
- At the Zone C Diving Championships, Stafford was a career-best 23rd in the one-meter dive.
- The Penguins set two individual school records during the year, both of which came in November. The records came in the 200-yard IM (Orosz) and the platform dive (Scheringer).
- Posted eight swimming times that rank in the top five in school history.
- YSU was named a College Swimming and Diving Coaches Association of America (CSCAA) Scholar All-American team. During the fall semester, the Guins posted a team GPA of 3.51. YSU was one of just 34 Division I schools to post a semster GPA of above 3.50.