|Youngstown State at IUPUI, vs. Green Bay|
|Wed., Oct. 9||at IUPUI @ 6 p.m. - Live Video | Live Stats|
|Fri., Oct. 11||vs. Green Bay @ 6 p.m. - Live Video | Live Stats|
|Live Tweets||@YSUVolleyball | @YSUsports | #HLVB|
|Mobile App||YSU Front Row|
The Youngstown State volleyball team will play one road match and one home match this week as it continues the first tour of its Horizon League schedule. The Penguins will play at IUPUI on Wednesday at 6 p.m., and they'll return home to host Green Bay on Friday at 6 p.m.
Both matches will be streamed live on ESPN+, and live stats will be available through links on YSUsports.com.
Fan Information and Promotions
- Parking Information
- Visitors Guide
- Friday will be Alumni Night at Beeghly Center as the program welcomes back former players as part of Homecoming Weekend on campus. Alumni interested in attending should contact assistant coach McKenzie Reese at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- It will also be Rise Pies Cheese Pizza Coupon Giveaway night. The first 100 fans in attendance will receive a coupon for a free cheese pizza at Rise Pies.
- The Penguins will continue to sell pink t-shirts and wristbands as part of Breast Cancer Awareness Month. All proceeds from sales will go to YSU's campaign with the Side-Out Foundation.
Recapping Last Week
Youngstown State went winless in its first two conference home matches last weekend, dropping 3-0 decisions to UIC and Milwaukee. Brooklen Pe'a paced the Penguins with 12 kills on a .417 attack percentage against the Flames, and Aleah Hughes added nine kills on 19 attempts. Against Milwaukee, collected her first double-double of the season with 10 kills and 12 digs as she moved from the libero spot to the left side. Alexia Byrnes also had a double-double in the contest with 16 assists and 12 digs.
- Match 1 vs. UIC – L, 0-3 (25-19, 25-16, 25-23) | Recap | Box Score
- Match 2 vs. Milwaukee – L, 0-3 (25-14, 25-13, 25-12) | Recap | Box Score
Previewing The Opponents
- IUPUI is 6-11 overall and 2-2 in Horizon League play heading into Wednesday evening's match at The Jungle in Indianapolis. The Jaguars beat Cleveland State and Oakland at home to open conference play, but they were swept in both matches at Wright State and Northern Kentucky last weekend.
- Senior McKayla Wright leads the conference with 0.47 aces per set, and her 3.11 kills per set rank fifth in the league. Fellow senior Haley Hoffman is the league's top blocker with 1.40 per set.
- Green Bay is 10-6 and 2-2 heading into this week and has earned a split in each of the first two conference weekends. The Phoenix have five-set wins road wins over UIC and Oakland, and they were beaten by Milwaukee and Cleveland State. Friday's match at YSU concludes a stretch for the preseason conference favorites of four of five on the road to start league play.
- Junior Taylor Wolf leads the Horizon League with 4.51 kills per set, nearly one more per set than any other player. Additionally, senior setter Maddie Yoss averages a conference-best 10.30 assists per set, and she's also sixth in aces per set.
Youngstown State will have another split week next week with one road match and one home match. The Penguins will play at Cleveland State on Oct. 18 at 6 p.m., and they'll return to host Oakland on Oct. 20 at 2 p.m. The match against the Golden Grizzlies will conclude the first half of Horizon League play.
News & Notes
Milestones Achieved Last Week
- Erin Kalahar collected her 150th career block
Milestones Within Reach
- Alexia Byrnes needs 40 assists to reach 1,000 for her career. Only 11 other Penguins have reached that milestone.
- Valor Haggerty is five kills shy of 200 in her career.
- Aleah Hughes needs eight digs to reach 800 in her career.
- Brooklen Pe'a needs 19 kills to reach 300 in her career. She already has five more kills than she did as a freshman in 2018.
- Margaux Thompson is six digs away from reaching 900 in her career.
Thompson Collects First Double-Double: Junior Margaux Thompson earned her first double-double of the season in Saturday's match against Milwaukee. Thompson finished with a team-best 10 kills to go along with 12 digs. She had been starting at libero since the Kent State match on Sept. 10. Thompson led YSU with 15 double-doubles in 2018, and she was second on the squad with 248 kills.
All-Tournament Team Selections