|Youngstown State vs. Detroit|
|Date & Time||Saturday, Feb. 6, at 4:30 p.m.|
|Location||Beeghly Center - Youngstown, Ohio
|Tickets||YSU Athletic Ticket Office | (330) 941-1YSU
|Radio||iHeartRadio | 570 WKBN|
|Video||ESPN3 | WatchESPN|
|Live Tweets||@YSUsports | @YSUWomensHoops | @javogel34|
|Hash Tags||#GoGuins | #HLWBB|
|Text Alerts||Sign Up|
|Mobile App||YSU Front Row|
- Youngstown State concludes its season-long four-game home stand on Saturday as it hosts Detroit at 4:30 p.m. at Beeghly Center. The game will be broadcast live on 570 WKBN, iHeartRadio, ESPN3 and the WatchESPN. The YSU men will also host Detroit at 7:05 p.m.
- YSU has won two of its first three games in the home stand, and it is coming off a 67-63 come-from-behind victory over Oakland on Thursday. The Penguins went 12:27 without a field goal, but their defense kept the deficit to a maximum of 14 points. YSU closed the third period on an 8-1 spurt and outscored the Golden Grizzlies 29-18 in the fourth.
- Of the Penguins' six Horizon League wins, they've trailed by at least 14 in half of them. YSU trailed Detroit by 15 early in the second half in a 72-70 win on Jan. 2.
- The Penguins are tied with Detroit for fourth in the league standings with a 6-4 record, which is one game back of second-place Wright State. The top two seeds in next month's league tournament get byes to the semifinals.
- YSU leads the Horizon League and ranks 10th in the country with 9.0 3-pointers per game. The Penguins were 11-for-31 from distance in Thursday's win over Oakland, and they've made at least 10 in six of their last eight games.
- Sarah Cash ranks fourth in the country and leads the Horizon League with a .631 field-goal percentage. She's averaging 18.1 points in conference play, which is the second-most in the league. Her overall scoring average of 15.8 points ranks fifth.
Fans will have plenty of extra entertainment at Saturday's doubleheader.
- State Farm Kids Day will take place from 2:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. inside the Stambaugh Stadium Gymnasiums.
- Fans attending the basketball doubleheaders will receive a YSU wall sticker, courtesy of Rulli Bros., Schwebel's and 21 WFMJ.
- The annual YSU Equipment Rummage Sale will take place on the upper deck of Beeghly Center during the doubleheader. Game-worn jerseys and other YSU apparel will be available to purchase.
- The Penguin Pack, YSU's official student fan club, will welcome all YSU students to the back lobby in between games for Chick-fil-A food.
A Win Would...
- Give YSU at least 16 wins in its first 22 games for the ninth time in school history and for the second time in the last four years.
- Improve YSU's record to 11-2 at Beeghly Center.
- Give YSU its first regular-season sweep of Detroit since the 2007-08 season.
On This Date
- Youngstown State is 7-4 all time in games played on Feb. 6, but the Penguins have lost three straight games on the date. YSU's last win on Feb. 6 came against Southern Utah in a Mid-Con game in 1999.
- Caroline McCombs scored her 1,000th career point on Feb. 6, 1997, at Beeghly Center against UMKC.
- The Penguins had their third-best shooting day from the field 28 years ago on Feb. 6 when they shot 60.6 percent in a 78-57 win at Akron. Dorothy Bowers scored 31 points in the victory.
- Detroit is 6-4 in Horizon League play, which includes an impressive 4-1 mark on the road. Detroit beat Cleveland State 66-60 on Thursday to maintain its tie for fourth in the league standings with YSU.
- Detroit ranks fourth in the Horizon League in scoring offense at 68.3 points per game, and it is last in scoring defense as it allows 73.9 points on average.
- Rosanna Reynolds ranks fourth in the league in scoring at 16.5 points per game, and she's sixth in the country in free-throw percentage. Nicole Urbanick leads the conference with three 3-pointers per game, and her scoring average of 14.8 points ranks eighth.
- YSU Connections: Detroit Head Coach Bernard Scott was YSU's recruiting coordinator in the 2008-09 and 2009-10 seasons under Cindy Martin. Titans assistant Tara Fleming played at YSU from 2001-05.
Series with Detroit
- Detroit leads the all-time series with YSU 20-18. YSU took two out of three against the Titans last season, winning in Detroit in the regular season and beating the Titans in the league tournament. The teams have split the regular-season series in each of the last four years. YSU is 13-6 against Detroit in Youngstown.
- Last Meeting: Sarah Cash made two go-ahead free throws with five seconds remaining as YSU rallied from a 15-point deficit to beat Detroit 72-70 on Jan. 2. Cash scored 18 of her game and career-high 24 points in the second half as YSU outscored the Titans 24-13 in the fourth period.
Sarah Cash scored 18 second-half points, and Nikki Arbanas made six 3-pointers to help Youngstown State rally for a 67-63 victory over Oakland on Thursday at Beeghly Center.
Oakland led 44-30 with 2:30 left in the third period as Youngstown State missed 19 consecutive shots during a field-goal drought of 12:27. The Penguins outscored the Golden Grizzlies 8-1 the rest of the period to trim the deficit to seven, and YSU shot 69 percent in the fourth to outscore Oakland 29-18 in the final 10 minutes.
Cash finished the game with 22 points on 7-of-11 shooting, and she added a career-high 14 rebounds. Arbanas scored 18 points, and Kelsea Newman added 15 off the bench. Indiya Benjamin offset a cold shooting night with eight assists. Taylor Gleason led Oakland with 14 points, but the Penguins held her to two points in the second half.
Quick Notes from Oakland
- YSU outscored Oakland by 11 at the free-throw line in the second half as the Penguins were 7-of-8 in the third period and 8-of-9 in the fourth. Both teams scored nine points in the third period, and seven of YSU's points came on free throws.
- YSU missed its final seven shots of the second period and its first 12 of the third. Oakland, however, was just 4-of-17 in the third period and couldn't match YSU's effort in the fourth. The Penguins shot 69.2 percent in the final 10 minutes while Oakland shot 37.5 percent.
- Eight of YSU's 10 field goals in the first half were from beyond the arc. YSU had double the two-point goals in the fourth period (six) than it did in the previous three periods combined.
- Cash went 4-for-4 from the field and 3-for-4 at the free-throw line in the fourth period to score 11 points. She had 14 points during YSU's 19-3 run that turned a 14-point deficit into a 49-47 lead.
- Arbanas scored the 500th point of her career on a 3-pointer less than a minute into the second half. The milestone was reached on her third of four first-half 3-pointers, and her next trey gave YSU a 55-53 advantage with 4:55 left in the fourth. The Penguins did not trail again, and her sixth 3 put YSU up 64-57 with 2:06 remaining.
- Cash's career-high 14 rebounds gave her a second straight double-double.
- Jenna Hirsch surpassed 2,000 career minutes in the game.
- YSU matched its highest-scoring fourth period of the season (Kent State) with 29 points.