Jan 15, 2017
|Youngstown State vs. Cleveland State|
|Date & Time||Monday, Jan. 16 | 7 p.m.|
|Location||Beeghly Center | Youngstown, Ohio|
|Tickets||YSU Athletic Ticket Office | (330) 941-1YSU
|Radio||iHeartRadio | sportsradio1390.com|
|Video||ESPN3 | WatchESPN|
|Live Tweets||@YSUWomensHoops | @YSUSports
|Hash Tags||#GoGuins | #HLWBB
|Text Alerts||Sign Up|
|Mobile App||YSU Front Row|
- Youngstown State will go for its third home win in five days as it hosts Cleveland State on Monday at Beeghly Center. Tipoff against the Vikings is set for 7 p.m., and live coverage will be available on iHeart.com (1390 WNIO), ESPN3 and the WatchESPN app.
- The Penguins are coming off back-to-back Horizon League victories over UIC and Valparaiso. YSU beat UIC 70-54 on Thursday and Valpo 76-70 on Saturday to improve to 2-3 in league play.
- While YSU is 2-3 in league play, it could be 4-1. Youngstown State lost by three at Cleveland State 16 days ago and fell in overtime at Northern Kentucky. Four of YSU's last six losses overall have been in overtime or by five points or fewer.
- YSU has scored at least 20 points in seven of the last nine full quarters it has played. The Penguins had totals of 21, nine, 20 and 26 on Saturday against Valparaiso.
- With three of its top five scorers coming into the season out for the year with injuries, YSU is averaging 69.6 points per game. That is the program's second-highest scoring average since 1999-00. YSU is averaging 73.1 points since the third game of the season.
- YSU has seven active players averaging at least five points. Three of them are freshmen, and another is a sophomore.
- Youngstown State has made at least nine 3-pointers in seven of the last eight games after having a high of eight in the first eight contests of the season.
Tickets and Promotions
- The Beeghly Center Ticket Office will open at 6 p.m. on Monday.
- Monday's game is January's Military Appreciation Game". Active and retired military members can receive six complimentary tickets to the game with proper military ID.
A Win Would...
- Even YSU's Horizon League record at 3-3.
- Give YSU a season-long three-game winning streak.
- Be YSU's fourth straight at Beeghly Center.
- Snap a four-game losing streak to Cleveland State.
On This Date
- Youngstown State is 4-4 in eight previous games played on Jan. 16. The Penguins lost 75-68 at Cleveland State on the date in 2016.
- Three years ago, Jenna Hirsch scored a career-high 20 points in YSU's memorable 66-57 victory over Green Bay at Beeghly Center.
- YSU had its highest-scoring game in program history on Jan. 16, 1980, when it beat John Carroll 121-49.
Scouting Cleveland State
- Cleveland State has gotten off to a 4-1 start in Horizon League play, a stretch that started with a 71-68 victory over YSU on New Year's Eve. The Vikings are 9-7 overall.
- CSU ranks seventh in the conference in scoring offense, and it is sixth in scoring defense. Offensively, the Vikings are fourth in the league in 3-point field-goal percentage.
- Individually, CSU sophomore Ashanti Abshaw ranks second in the Horizon League with 18.6 points per game, and she is eighth in rebounds. Khayla Livingston is third in assists and fourth in steals.
Series with Cleveland State
- YSU has played Cleveland State more than any other opponent and leads the all-time series 36-31.
- The Vikings have won four straight contests against YSU and have taken 11 of the last 12 decisions at the Wolstein Center.
- YSU had won five straight against the Vikings at Beeghly Center before a 53-43 loss last year on Feb. 20.
Earlier vs. Cleveland State
- Cleveland State scored 10 points from offensive rebounds in the fourth period and rallied for a 71-68 victory over YSU on Dec. 31.
- YSU led 45-35 three minutes into the third period. YSU had a 56-52 lead entering the fourth, and eight of CSU's first nine points of the final period came following offensive rebounds.
- Mary Dunn led the Penguins with 16 points and six rebounds, and three other YSU players scored in double figures.
- YSU went 1-for-10 from 3-point range in the fourth period.