Feb 14, 2017
|Youngstown State vs. Northern Kentucky|
|Date & Time||Thursday, Feb. 14 | 5:15 p.m.|
|Location||Beeghly Center | Youngstown, Ohio|
|Tickets||YSU Athletic Ticket Office | (330) 941-1YSU
|Radio||1390 WNIO | iHeartRadio|
|Video||ESPN3 | WatchESPN|
|Live Tweets||@YSUWomensHoops | @YSUSports
|Hash Tags||#GoGuins | #HLWBB
|Text Alerts||Sign Up|
|Mobile App||YSU Front Row|
- After a four-game road stretch, Youngstown State begins a four-game home stand to close out the regular season on Thursday against Northern Kentucky. Tipoff against the Norse is set for 5:15 p.m., and the game will be broadcast live on 1390 WNIO, iHeartRadio, ESPN3 and WatchESPN. The contest is part of a doubleheader with the YSU men's basketball team.
- The Penguins went 1-3 in their four road games with a win at UIC on Feb. 4 and losses to Milwaukee and Green Bay this past weekend. The Penguins had their best shooting performance since 2006 with a .564 field-goal percentage in an 86-82 loss at Milwaukee. YSU was then held to 29.8 percent shooting in a 75-41 loss at Green Bay on Saturday.
- Youngstown State lost 87-81 in overtime at Northern Kentucky on Jan. 7. The Penguins trailed by 16 in the fourth period before making a huge rally. Thursday's game against NKU could factor largely in determining the seventh and eighth seeds in the Horizon League Tournament.
- YSU will host a Play4Kay event as part of Saturday's game against Wright State. Play4Kay's purpose is to raise awareness and funds to support the Kay Yow Cancer Fund, a charitable organization committed to fighting women's cancers.
- YSU has surpassed 200 3-pointers for the seventh consecutive season and has made at least nine 3s in 14 of their last 17 games. Only 17 programs in the country had made at least 200 3s in each of the last six seasons, and YSU is one five from that list to reach 200 this season.
- YSU has had 13 different starting lineups in 25 games this season, including six different combinations in the last seven contests. Indiya Benjamin has started all 25 games, and Jenna Hirsch is the only other Penguin with more than 20 starts (21).
- Benjamin became the 23rd player to score 900 career points in the game at Green Bay. She scored team highs of 21 points at Milwaukee and 10 at Green Bay. Benjamin has 155 career 3-pointers and is seven away from entering the top five in program history for career 3s.
- Mary Dunn returned to the starting lineup against Green Bay as she continues her way back from an ankle injury from Jan. 26. Dunn scored 17 points at Milwaukee on Thursday but was held to two at Green Bay. She continues to lead all Horizon League freshmen in scoring, field goal percentage and blocks.
- Alison Smolinski leads the Horizon League with 64 total 3-pointers and 2.8 3s per game. She has made 46 3s during league play, which is seven more than any other player despite her missing 11 quarters with a concussion. She is eight 3s from breaking teammate Nikki Arbanas' record for 3-pointers by a Penguin in Horizon League games – 53 last season.
- Melinda Trimmer made the first two starts of her career last week. She has averaged 6.9 points over her last eight games and has set new career highs in points, assists and rebounds in that stretch.
Tickets & Promotions
- Advance tickets for Thursday's game are available at the YSU Athletic Ticket Office in Stambaugh Stadium. Tickets can be ordered over the phone by calling (330) 941-1YSU.
- The ticket office is open 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. The Beeghly Center Ticket Office and gates will open at 4:15 p.m. on Thursday.
- Thursday's game will be the first "Hoops & Scoops" game of the season in partnership with Handel's Ice Cream. Fans can stop at any area Handel's Ice Cream location this week to get a ticket voucher with any purchase that is redeemable able the YSU Athletic Ticket Office for a free general admission ticket to Thursday's basketball doubleheader.
- The YSU Penguin Pack is organizing a White Out at Beeghly Center and is encouraging all fans to wear white. For more information, follow the Penguin Pack on social media - Facebook | Twitter | Instagram