Nov 19, 2016
|Youngstown State vs. Sacramento State|
|Date & Time||Sunday, Nov. 20 | 7 p.m. ET/2 p.m. HT|
|Location||Stan Sheriff Center | Honolulu, Hawaii|
|Radio||570 WKBN | iHeartRadio|
|Live Tweets||@YSUWomensHoops | @YSUSports
|Hash Tags||#GoGuins | #HLWBB
|Text Alerts||Sign Up|
|Mobile App||YSU Front Row|
- The Youngstown State women's basketball team will try to end its stay on Oahu on a high note as it takes on Sacramento State on Sunday at the Bank of Hawaii Classic. Tipoff between the Penguins and Hornets will be at 2 p.m. HST, 7 p.m. Eastern, and live coverage will be on 570 WKBN and iHeart.com.
- YSU is looking for its first win of the season. The Penguins dropped their first two games of the season by 13, and they lost 72-50 to Hawaii on Friday.
- YSU has been shorthanded so far this season. Starting shooting guard Nikki Arbanas is out for the season, and redshirt-senior guard Kelsea Newman has missed the last two contests. Preseason First-Team All-Horizon League forward Sarah Cash has been limited due to a knee injury, and an ankle injury has kept Kelley Wright to two minutes in the last two games.
- Freshman forward Mary Dunn is YSU's top scorer through the first three games at 9.3 points per game. Another freshman forward, Natalie Myers, is the team's top rebounder with 7.0 caroms per contest.
- The Penguins have won 21 games and advanced to a postseason tournament in each of the past two seasons. YSU went 21-13 last season and won two games in the Women's Basketball Invitational. The Penguins had not played in back-to-back postseason tournaments in their history prior to last year.
- The Penguins were tabbed to finish fourth in the Horizon League Preseason Poll.
A Win Would...
- Be YSU's first of the 2016-17 season.
- Be YSU's 21st in 28 regular-season non-conference games dating back to the start of the 2014-15 season.
- Improve YSU's record to 10-4 against teams in the Big Sky Conference.
On This Date
- Youngstown State is 4-1 all time in games played on Nov. 20. The Penguins have won their last two on the date, including a 54-53 win in the final seconds over Radford last year.
Scouting Sacramento State
- Sacramento State is 1-3 this season and is coming off a 99-73 loss to New Mexico State on Friday at the Bank of Hawaii Classic.
- The Hornets have surrendered at least 91 points each game this season and are allowing opponents to score 96.2 points per game. Opponents are shooting 53.5 percent from the field.
- Sacramento State is routinely one of the top 3-point shooting teams in the country. The Hornets have 42 in four games this season, and they led the nation with 386 last season.
- SSU was picked to finish seventh in the Big Sky this season. There are three starters and 10 letter winners back from last year's squad that won 14 games.
YSU vs. Big Sky Opponents
- Youngstown State is 9-4 in 13 previous contests against Big Sky opponents. The Penguins are 8-3 against Southern Utah and 1-1 versus Weber State.
- YSU and Southern Utah were both in the Mid-Continent Conference and played all 11 times from 1998-2001.
- YSU beat Weber State for its first win of the 2008-09 campaign. Interestingly, that contest was YSU's fourth that season.
- YSU has done its best to take in as much of Oahu as possible in its first trip to Hawaii.
- The Penguins arrived in Honolulu via Pittsburgh and Dallas on Tuesday afternoon and are staying at the Ohana Waikiki East hotel. It will travel back to Ohio Sunday night into Monday afternoon.
- The team went snorkeling at Hanauma Bay Wednesday morning, and it enjoyed the Paradise Cove Luau later that evening. YSU then went to Pearl Harbor on Thursday morning for another excursion.
- Hawaii went on an 18-2 run between the end of the first period and the beginning of the second period to open up a 24-10 lead. The Rainbow Wahine led by double digits for the final 27:40 of the game.
- YSU led 8-6, and the deficit was 12-10 after Mailee Jones scored for the Penguins on the first possession of the second period. YSU didn't score again until a Mary Dunn basket at the 4:54 mark.
- YSU was outscored 25-10 in the second period, continuing a rough trend in the early part of the season. The Penguins were also outscored in the second period 17-10 at Pitt and 19-8 vs. American. YSU is minus-33 in three second periods this season and minus-15 in the other nine periods.
- Dunn led all scorers with 14 points, and Jones came off the bench to score 12 points. Dunn was 4-for-9 from the field, but YSU's other four starters combined to go 3-for-28 from the field.
- Jones added three assists, two rebounds and a steal in 18 minutes while making 5-for-8 from the field overall and 2-for-2 from 3-point range.
- Sarah Cash scored the 600th point of her career on a basket with 7:10 remaining in the fourth period. She scored 479 of those points last year as a sophomore when she was named Second-Team All-Horizon League.
- While Natalie Myers did not score, she grabbed eight rebounds in 26 minutes. She is averaging a team-high seven rebounds this season.