Dec 02, 2016
|Youngstown State vs. Tiffin|
|Date & Time||Saturday, Dec. 3 | 5:30 p.m.|
|Location||Beeghly Center | Youngstown, Ohio|
|Tickets||YSU Athletic Ticket Office | (330) 941-1YSU
|Radio||1390 WNIO | iHeart.com|
|Video||ESPN3 | WatchESPN|
|Live Tweets||@YSUWomensHoops | @YSUSports
|Hash Tags||#GoGuins | #HLWBB
|Text Alerts||Sign Up|
|Mobile App||YSU Front Row|
- After spending half of its first six games more than 1,700 miles away, Youngstown State begins a stretch on Friday against Saint Francis U of playing 10 of its next 11 contests in Ohio. Tipoff against the Red Flash is set for 5:30 p.m., and the game will be broadcast live on 1390 WNIO/iHeart.com and ESPN3/WatchESPN.
- YSU is coming off a 70-49 loss at Northern Arizona on Monday. The Penguins trimmed a 15-point deficit down to six before NAU pulled away over the final eight minutes. The Lumberjacks dominated the paint with a 34-14 scoring advantage inside and a 19-4 edge in second-chance points.
- That trip to Arizona followed a seven-day journey to Hawaii earlier in November. In total, YSU flew more than 13,000 miles and spent nearly 28 hours on airplanes from Nov. 15-29. YSU's only game out of the Buckeye State until Jan. 20 is just over the Ohio River at Northern Kentucky on Jan. 7.
- The Penguins will be looking to win for the third time in the last four games. YSU beat Sacramento State 102-94 in its second game in Hawaii, and it topped Tiffin 84-62 at Beeghly Center on Nov. 23.
- Junior forward Sarah Cash, a preseason first-team All-Horizon League pick, has scored 55 points in 52 minutes over her last three contests.
- The Penguins have won 21 games and advanced to a postseason tournament in each of the past two seasons. YSU went 21-13 last season and won two games in the WBI.
Tickets & Promotions
- Advance tickets for Saturday's game are available at the YSU Athletic Ticket Office in Stambaugh Stadium. Tickets can be ordered over the phone by calling (330) 941-1YSU.
- The Beeghly Center Ticket Office will open at 4:30 p.m. on Saturday.
- Saturday begins the Rulli Bros. "Holiday Hoops" promotion for December where fans can receive a buy one, get one free offer on general admission tickets by asking for the "Holiday Hoops" special upon ordering their tickets.
A Win Would...
- Bring YSU's record at Beeghly Center to 2-1.
- Even Youngstown State's all-time record against Saint Francis U at 2-2.
- Give John Barnes his 60th victory as a Penguin.
- Be YSU's 23rd in 31 regular-season non-conference games dating back to the start of the 2014-15 season.
On This Date
- Youngstown State is 4-5 in nine previous contests that have been played on Dec. 3. The Penguins won 58-57 at IUPUI in 2012 in their last action on Dec. 3.
- YSU previously lost to Saint Francis U 61-54 on Dec. 3, 2008, at Beeghly Center. That victory stopped a 15-match losing streak for the Red Flash.
- Individually, Liz Hauger scored her 1,000th career point against Akron on Dec. 3, 1996, and Kristi Echelberry had a 20-rebound effort against Sam Houston State on Dec. 3, 1993.
Scouting Saint Francis U
- Saint Francis U plays a high-scoring style of basketball, averaging 87.6 points per game while surrendering 88 points. The Red Flash are sixth in the country in scoring offense and second-to-last in scoring defense. SFU has scored at least 72 points and allowed at least 74 in each game.
- The Red Flash opened the season with a 103-100 win at Wisconsin, and their other win came over Canisius, 95-74. SFU has losses to Marquette, Columbia and Cornell, which YSU plays on Dec. 17.
- Jessica Kovatch leads four players averaging at least 12 points with 20.2 points per game, and she is one of three players who has made 14 3s through five games. Ace Harrison averages 17.2 points and 10.0 rebounds.
Series with Saint Francis U
- YSU is 1-2 in three previous games with Saint Francis U. The teams played in three consecutive Decembers from 2007-09, and two of those contests were in Loretto, Pa.
- The first two meetings were extremely close – YSU won 58-57 at DeGol Arena on Dec. 1, 2007, and SFU won 61-54 in overtime on Dec. 3, 2008, at Beeghly Center. Saint Francis won the last matchup 94-58 on Dec. 17, 2009.
Recapping Northern Arizona
- Northern Arizona controlled the paint on both ends of the floor and pulled away from Youngstown State in the final 15 minutes for a 70-49 victory at the Rolle Activity Center on Monday evening.
- The Lumberjacks outscored the Penguins 34-14 in the paint, and they held a 19-4 edge in second-chance points. NAU also forced YSU to take 27 of its 53 field goal attempts from beyond the 3-point arc and outrebounded the Penguins 51-29.
- Sarah Cash scored 12 points in 16 minutes to lead the Penguins, and Mary Dunn and Alison Smolinski both finished with nine. Those three players combined to go 11-for-20 from the field. The other nine Penguins who played went 6-for-33.
- Dunn scored seven of her points in the first two minutes of the third period. She finished 3-for-6 from the field and 3-for-4 from the free-throw line in 12 minutes.
- YSU made a season-high eight 3-pointers, and Smolinski made a season-best three in just five attempts.
- Smolinski has made five of her last eight 3-point attempts. She made the 50th 3-pointer of her career against the Lumberjacks.
- Kelley Wright made multiple 3-pointers for the first time this season in her second consecutive start.