Feb 17, 2017
|Youngstown State vs. Wright State|
|Date & Time||Saturday, 18 | 4:30 p.m.|
|Location||Beeghly Center | Youngstown, Ohio|
|Tickets||YSU Athletic Ticket Office | (330) 941-1YSU
|Radio||570 WKBN | iHeartRadio|
|Video||ESPN3 | WatchESPN|
|Live Tweets||@YSUWomensHoops | @YSUSports
|Hash Tags||#GoGuins | #HLWBB
|Text Alerts||Sign Up|
|Mobile App||YSU Front Row|
- Fresh off an overtime win on Thursday, Youngstown State will take on Horizon League-leading Wright State on Saturday at Beeghly Center. Tipoff against the Raiders is set for 4:30 p.m., and the game will be broadcast live on 570 WKBN, iHeartRadio, ESPN3 and WatchESPN.
- The Penguins will be participating in the nationwide Play4Kay initiative to benefit the Kay Yow Cancer Fund. The Penguins are partnering with YSU's very active Zeta Tau Alpha sorority to host a Chinese Auction and raffle, sell t-shirts and collect donations. Pink ribbons will also be distributed in the front lobby of Beeghly Center.
- Youngstown State is coming off a 77-73 overtime victory over Northern Kentucky on Thursday. Both games of the NKU series this season went to overtime. YSU overcame a 16-point fourth period deficit before losing in OT at NKU on Jan. 7. On Thursday, the Norse trailed by a dozen in the fourth before eventually losing in overtime.
- The win allowed YSU to jump the Norse in the Horizon League standings. The Penguins are currently 5-10 in league play, a half-game ahead of NKU in seventh place.
- YSU has surpassed 200 3-pointers for the seventh consecutive season and has made at least nine 3s in 15 of their last 18 games. Only 17 programs in the country had made at least 200 3s in each of the last six seasons, and YSU is one eight from that list to reach 200 this season.
- YSU has had 13 different starting lineups in 26 games this season, including seven different combinations in the last nine contests. Indiya Benjamin has started all 26 games, and Jenna Hirsch is the only other Penguin with more than 20 starts (21).
- Benjamin became the 23rd player to score 900 career points in last Saturday's game at Green Bay.
- Mary Dunn had a nice bounce-back game with 18 points and a career-high eight rebounds against Northern Kentucky. It was her highest scoring game since Jan. 14. Dunn continues to be a top candidate for Horizon League Freshman-of-the-Year honors as she leads all conference freshmen in scoring, field goal percentage and blocks.
- Alison Smolinski leads the Horizon League with 71 total 3-pointers and 3.0 3s per game. She has made 49 of those 3s in the last 11 games. Since Jan. 13, she has made nine more 3-pointers than any other player in the country.
- Melinda Trimmer has made the first three starts of her career in the last three games. She has averaged 7.7 points over her last nine games and has set new career highs in points, assists and rebounds in that stretch. She had a career-high 14 vs. NKU on Thursday.
- The Penguins have been decimated by injuries to significant players this season. Three of YSU's top five scorers from last season are out for the year with injuries.
Tickets & Promotions
- The Beeghly Center Ticket Office and gates will open at 3:30 p.m. on Saturday.
- Saturday's game will be the second "Hoops & Scoops" game of the season in partnership with Handel's Ice Cream. Fans can stop at any area Handel's Ice Cream location this week to get a ticket voucher with any purchase that is redeemable able the YSU Athletic Ticket Office for a free general admission ticket to Saturday's basketball doubleheader.
- Fans in attendance will receive a commemorative stadium cup, courtesy of Handel's, Lyden Oil and 21 WFMJ.