Nov 08, 2018
|Youngstown State vs. Loyola Chicago|
|Date & Time||Friday, Nov. 9 | 7 p.m.|
|Location||Beeghly Center | Youngstown, Ohio|
|Tickets||(330) 941-1YSU | YSUsports.com|
|Radio||1390 WNIO | iHeartRadio|
|Video||ESPN+ | WatchESPN|
|Live Tweets||@YSUWomensHoops | @YSUSports|
|Hash Tags||#GoGuins | #HLWBB|
|Mobile App||YSU Front Row|
- The Youngstown State women's basketball team will look to build on its season-opening victory as it hosts old Horizon League foe Loyola Chicago on Friday in Beeghly Center. Tipoff is set for 7:02 p.m., and the game will be broadcast live on The SportsAnimal 1390 WNIO and ESPN+.
- The Penguins are coming off an exciting 69-59 overtime win over preseason NEC favorite Robert Morris on Tuesday evening. YSU's Melinda Trimmer tied the game on a jumper with 1.2 seconds left in regulation, and the Penguins went on to outscore the Colonials 13-3 in overtime.
- Four Penguins reached double figures against RMU, and Chelsea Olson recorded her third career double-double with 13 points and 14 rebounds. The 14 rebounds were the most by a Penguin since March 2016.
- YSU has played in the postseason four times in the last six seasons with WNIT berths in 2013 and 2015 and WBI bids in 2016 and 2018.
- Head Coach John Barnes returns for his sixth season, and his entire staff of John Nicolais, Andy Crane, Courtney Davidson, Nicole Griffin and Jenn Lawrence is also back.
- Sarah Cash returns for her fifth season to finish what could go down as one of the all-time great careers at YSU. She is on pace to set the school record for career field-goal percentage, and she also ranks in the top 20 in points, field goals, free throws and blocks.
- Cash was voted Preseason First-Team All-Horizon League, and Olson voted to the second team.
- YSU will dress a maximum of nine players for the foreseeable future. Of the 13 players on the roster, two juniors will sit out as Division I transfers, and two freshman guards are out indefinitely with injuries.
- YSU has made at least 200 3-pointers in eight straight seasons, and it has led the Horizon League in 3-pointers per game in four straight campaigns.
Tickets & Promotions
- Advance tickets for Friday's game are available at the YSU Athletic Ticket Office in Stambaugh Stadium. Tickets can be ordered in person or over the phone by calling (330) 941-1YSU.
- The ticket office is open 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. The Beeghly Center Ticket Office will open at 6 p.m. on Friday.
- Friday's game will be the first of two Medical Mutual/Faculty and Staff Appreciation nights at Beeghly Center. YSU faculty and staff members can redeem a ticket voucher to receive four complimentary game tickets to the game against the Ramblers.
- Fans in attendance will receive a YSU schedule magnet, courtesy of McDonald's, Rulli Brothers and 21 WFMJ.
Previewing Loyola Chicago
- Loyola Chicago is beginning its third season under coach Kate Achter on Friday. The Ramblers were 7-23 overall, which represented a five-win improvement from 2016-17, and 5-13 in Missouri Valley contests last season.
- The Ramblers return three starters and 62 percent of their scoring from last season. Abby O'Connor earned MVC All-Freshman Team accolades following a rookie campaign that saw her lead Loyola in scoring (10.5 ppg), rebounding (5.6 rpg) and blocks (1.2 bpg).
- Loyola had four players score in double figures in a 73-49 exhibition victory over North Central College on Saturday.
- Youngstown State outscored Loyola 26-7 in the first period and went on to beat the Ramblers 73-49 last season on Nov. 18 in Gentile Arena.
- Youngstown State will play its first road game of the season on Tuesday as it travels to Pitt. Tip at the Petersen Events Center is set for 7 p.m., and the game will be broadcast live on 570 WKBN and the ACC Network Extra.